|2020–||Deputy Minister of Home Affairs|
|Faction represented in Dewan Rakyat|
|2020||Malaysian United Indigenous Party|
|2018–2020||Chairman of Malaysian Cocoa Board|
Jonathan bin Yasin
1967 (age 53)
|Political party||Malaysian United Indigenous Party (PPBM) (Since 2020)|
People's Justice Party (Malaysia) (PKR) (2008–2020)
|Perikatan Nasional (PN) (Since 2020)|
Pakatan Harapan (PH) (2015–2020)
Pakatan Rakyat (PR) (2008–2015)
Datuk Jonathan bin Yasin is a Malaysian politician who has served as the Deputy Minister of Home Affairs II for the second term in the Barisan Nasional (BN) administration under Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob and Minister Hamzah Zainuddin since August 2021. He served his first term in Perikatan Nasional (PN) administration under former Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin and Minister Hamzah Zainudin from March 2020 to August 2021 and Member of Parliament (MP) for Ranau since May 2018. He joined the Malaysian United Indigenous Party (BERSATU), a component party of the PN coalition after resigning from the People's Justice Party (PKR), a component party of the Pakatan Harapan (PH) opposition coalition.
2008 general election
In the 2008 election, Jonathan under his party of People's Justice Party (PKR) faced Siringan Gubat of the United Pasokmomogun Kadazandusun Murut Organisation (UPKO) and lost in a large majority.
2013 general election
2018 general election
|2008||Siringan Gubat (UPKO)||14,074||63.4%||Jonathan Yasin (PKR)||6,823||30.7%||21516|
|2013||Ewon Ebin (UPKO)||15,434||49.2%||Jonathan Yasin (PKR)||11,823||37.7%||30730|
|2018||Ewon Ebin (UPKO)||13,804||31.6%2||Jonathan Yasin (PKR)||14,880||34.0%2||32942|
Table excludes votes for candidates who finished in third place or lower.
2 Different % used for 2018 election.
In 2013, Jonathan as a PKR member post a picture of Anwar Ibrahim being awarded the "Huguan Siou" (Paramount Leader of the Kadazan-Dusuns) in his Facebook account. This subsequently leading to furore among Kadazan-Dusun community in Sabah as the title is "sacred" and should only be used among the ethnic indigenous community, not for a country title. The Kadazandusun Cultural Association (KDCA) also demanded apologies from him and Anwar. Responding to the criticism, Jonathan said "Who am I to stop any Kadazan-Dusun individual from enthroning any person as 'Huguan Siou' Malaysia?". Anwar however denied that he was bestowed the honour.
- Jonathan Yassin, Azmin Now A Bersatu Member
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri". Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 26 May 2018. Percentage figures based on total turnout (including votes for candidates not listed).
- Philip Golingai (23 June 2014). "A religious minefield". The Star. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
In the Ranau parliamentary seat, Barisan’s Datuk Ewon Ebin of Upko received 15,434 votes, Jonathan Yasin of PKR and the brother of Amisah got 11,823 votes, Julianah Situn @Widya Julia of Sabah Star 2,559 and Yazid Sahjinan, an independent, 914.
- Izyan Liyana Mohd. Darif (25 April 2018). "PKR Sabah tampil umum dua calon muda" (in Malay). Kosmo!. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- Norasikin Daineh (25 April 2018). "Sabah PKR to contest 6 parliamentary and 9 state seats". New Straits Times. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- Clarence GD (10 May 2018). "PKR's Jonathan wins Ranau". Daily Express. Archived from the original on 26 May 2018. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- Nandini Balakrishnan (10 May 2018). "Historic Win: The Complete Result Of GE14's Parliamentary Seats Across Malaysia". Says.com. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "Sabah [Parliament Results]". The Star. Archived from the original on 17 May 2018. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- Luke Rintod (13 February 2013). "Anwar's 'Huguan Siou' debacle draws flak". Free Malaysia Today. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- Ruben Sario; Diana Rose (13 February 2013). "Anwar Ibrahim in Huguan Siou blooper". The Star. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "Kadazandusun association demands apology from Anwar over 'Huguan Siou' title conferment". Bernama. The Star. 13 February 2013. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- Roy Goh (13 February 2013). "'Anwar Getting 'Huguan Siou' Title Disrespects The Kadazandusun'". New Straits Times. Malaysian Digest. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "Norainee, Bung Moktar, Chong Wei antara penerima darjah kebesaran, bintang dan pingat TYT Sabah" (in Malay). Astro Awani. 1 October 2021. Retrieved 1 October 2021.