جونثان بن يسٓ
|Member of the Malaysian Parliament|
for Ranau, Sabah
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Ewon Ebin|
Jonathan bin Yasin
|Political party||People's Justice Party (2008–)|
2008 general election
In the 2008 election, Jonathan under his party of People's Justice Party (PKR) faced Siringan Gubat of the United Pasokmomogun Kadazandusun Murut Organisation (UPKO) and lost in a large majority.
2013 general election
2018 general election
|2008||Siringan Gubat (UPKO)||14,074||63.4%||Jonathan Yasin (PKR)||6,823||30.7%|
|2013||Ewon Ebin (UPKO)||15,434||49.2%||Jonathan Yasin (PKR)||11,823||37.7%|
|2018||Ewon Ebin (UPKO)||13,804||31.6%2||Jonathan Yasin (PKR)||14,880||34.0%2|
Table excludes votes for candidates who finished in third place or lower.
2 Different % used for 2018 election.
In 2013, Jonathan as a PKR member post a picture of Anwar Ibrahim being awarded the “Huguan Siou” (Paramount Leader of the Kadazan-Dusuns) in his Facebook account. This subsequently leading to furore among Kadazan-Dusun community in Sabah as the title is "sacred" and should only be used among the ethnic indigenous community, not for a country title. The Kadazandusun Cultural Association (KDCA) also demanded apologies from him and Anwar. Responding to the criticism, Jonathan said "Who am I to stop any Kadazan-Dusun individual from enthroning any person as 'Huguan Siou' Malaysia?". Anwar however denied that he was bestowed the honour.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri". Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 26 May 2018. Percentage figures based on total turnout (including votes for candidates not listed).
- Philip Golingai (23 June 2014). "A religious minefield". The Star. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
In the Ranau parliamentary seat, Barisan’s Datuk Ewon Ebin of Upko received 15,434 votes, Jonathan Yasin of PKR and the brother of Amisah got 11,823 votes, Julianah Situn @Widya Julia of Sabah Star 2,559 and Yazid Sahjinan, an independent, 914.
- Izyan Liyana Mohd. Darif (25 April 2018). "PKR Sabah tampil umum dua calon muda" (in Malay). Kosmo!. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- Norasikin Daineh (25 April 2018). "Sabah PKR to contest 6 parliamentary and 9 state seats". New Straits Times. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- Clarence GD (10 May 2018). "PKR's Jonathan wins Ranau". Daily Express. Archived from the original on 26 May 2018. Retrieved 26 May 2018. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Nandini Balakrishnan (10 May 2018). "Historic Win: The Complete Result Of GE14's Parliamentary Seats Across Malaysia". Says.com. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "Sabah [Parliament Results]". The Star. Archived from the original on 18 May 2018. Retrieved 26 May 2018. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Luke Rintod (13 February 2013). "Anwar's 'Huguan Siou' debacle draws flak". Free Malaysia Today. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- Ruben Sario; Diana Rose (13 February 2013). "Anwar Ibrahim in Huguan Siou blooper". The Star. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "Kadazandusun association demands apology from Anwar over 'Huguan Siou' title conferment". Bernama. The Star. 13 February 2013. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- Roy Goh (13 February 2013). "'Anwar Getting 'Huguan Siou' Title Disrespects The Kadazandusun'". New Straits Times. Malaysian Digest. Retrieved 26 May 2018.