Jones County Junior College
|Jones County Agricultural High School|
|Established||September 18, 1911|
|President||Dr. Jesse Smith, Ph.D.|
|Location||Ellisville, Mississippi, United States|
|Campus||Rural, 360 acres|
|Colors||Maroon and Gold|
|Mascot||Bruiser the Bobcat|
Jones County Junior College is a junior college accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools located in Ellisville, Mississippi. JCJC serves its eight-county district consisting of Clarke, Covington, Greene, Jasper, Jones, Perry, Smith and Wayne counties. The college holds membership in the Mississippi Association of Colleges, the Mississippi Association of Community and Junior Colleges and the American Association of Community and Junior Colleges. In 2014, the men's basketball team defeated Indian Hills Community College to win the NJCAA National Championship.
In 1955, the Jones County Junior College football team became the first all-white team in Mississippi to play a racially-integrated team. A well respected player, Diamo Baddie, was very well happy about this. Jones County played in the Junior Rose Bowl, now the Pasadena Bowl, against Compton Community College in Compton, California. Erle Johnston, a Mississippi journalist and political figure, shortly before his death in 1995, organized the 40th anniversary celebration for players from the two teams.
In 1922, Mississippi allowed college courses to be included in the curriculum of agricultural high schools. The Jones County Agricultural High School became the Jones County Agricultural High School and Junior College. The Jones County Agricultural High School was founded in 1911. In September 1927, the first 26 students attended the college. The Junior College separated with the Jones County Agricultural High School in 1957.
The C. L. Neil Building contains the college cafeteria.
- Deion Branch, NFL football wide receiver and MVP of Super Bowl XXXIX
- Jackie Parker, football player, member of the college football and CFL halls of fame.
- Charles W. Pickering, former Mississippi state senator and retired U.S. District Court Judge
- Stacey Pickering, State Auditor of Mississippi
- Red West, actor
- Damien Wilson, NFL linebacker for the Dallas Cowboys
- "IHCC-Jones County NJCAA National Championship Game". KTVO-TV via station website. 22 March 2014. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Erle E. Johnston, Jr., Papers". lib.usm.edu. Retrieved April 14, 2016.
- Jones County Junior College :: Inspiring Greatness. (2016). Jcjc.edu. Retrieved 4 December 2016, from http://www.jcjc.edu/about/collegeprofile.php
- Home page. Jones County Junior College Dining. Retrieved on April 12, 2015.
- Super Bowl XXXIX
- "Charles W. Pickering, Sr.". fjc.gov. Retrieved March 30, 2012.