Union County Courthouse in Jonesboro
|Area||2.71 sq mi (7 km2)|
|- land||2.70 sq mi (7 km2)|
|- water||0.01 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||968.0 / sq mi (374 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Jonesboro, Illinois|
Jonesboro is located at (37.451126, -89.268566).
According to the 2010 census, the city has a total area of 2.71 square miles (7.0 km2), of which 2.70 square miles (7.0 km2) (or 99.63%) is land and 0.01 square miles (0.026 km2) (or 0.37%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,853 people, 740 households, and 489 families residing in the city. The population density was 968.0 people per square mile (374.6/km²). There were 792 housing units at an average density of 413.7 per square mile (160.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 96.87% White, 0.65% African American, 0.59% Native American, 0.59% Asian, 0.76% from other races, and 0.54% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.19% of the population.
There were 740 households out of which 31.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.2% were married couples living together, 11.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.9% were non-families. 30.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.35 and the average family size was 2.95.
In the city the population was spread out with 24.1% under the age of 18, 8.0% from 18 to 24, 25.6% from 25 to 44, 23.3% from 45 to 64, and 19.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 89.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $30,441, and the median income for a family was $40,066. Males had a median income of $31,691 versus $24,464 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,372. About 12.5% of families and 17.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.9% of those under age 18 and 18.2% of those age 65 or over.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 170.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places – Illinois". United States Census. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Mr. Lincoln and Freedom: Lincoln-Douglas Debate in Jonesboro
- 1994 reenactment of Lincoln-Douglas Debate in Jonesboro televised by C-SPAN (Debate preview and Debate review)