Joo Hyun Mi
|Born||November 5, 1961|
|Origin||Gwangju, South Korea|
|Revised Romanization||Ju Hyeon-mi|
Joo Hyun Mi (Hangul: 주현미, Hanja: 周炫美; born November 5, 1961) also known as Zhou Xuan Mei, is a South Korean singer, who is one of the nation's most successful trot singers. She debuted in 1984, but her big break came in 1985 when she released the song, "Rainy Yeongdong Bridge." She has released more than 40 albums during her career.
Joo Hyun Mi was born in 1961 to Korean-Chinese parents in Gwangju, South Korea. She attended Seoul Chinese Primary School and studied pharmacy at Chung-Ang University. While in university, she received an award for competing in the MBC Riverside Song Festival. Upon graduating, she worked as a pharmacist.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2018)
Joo debuted in 1984 with the trot medley album Couple's Party. The album established her reputation as a singer and sold 1 million copies. The following year, in 1985, she released the single, "The Rainy Yeongdonggyo Bridge," which became one of her most popular songs.
|1986||Main Prize (Bonsang)||"Crying and Regretting"||Won|
|1987||"Blues of Tears"||Won|
|1988||"The Man in Shinsadong"||Won|
|Grand Prize (Daesang)||Won|
|1989||Main Prize (Bonsang)||"Unrequited Love"||Won|
|1987||Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Original Song (TV)||"My Heart Is Like A Star"||Won|
|1988||KBS Music Awards||Best Song||"The Man in Shinsadong"||Won|
|2009||Mnet Asian Music Awards||Trot Music Award||"Jjarajajja" (with Seohyun)||Nominated|
- "프로필" [Profile]. Ju Hyun Mi Official Site (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-02-05.
- "Joo Hyun-mi Celebrates 30th Anniversary of Singing Career". The Chosun Ilbo. 2014-08-27. Retrieved 2018-02-05.
- Do, Je-hae (2014-09-02). "Joo Hyun-mi, Kim Yeon-ja, Choi Jin-hee trot back to limelight". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2018-02-05.
- "주현미 소개" [Joo Hyun Mi Profile]. Mnet (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-02-05.
- "주현미 "에이즈 감염설 충격, 스캔들 한 번 없었는데"" [Joo Hyun Mi "No AIDS Infection, No Scandal"]. MBN News (in Korean). 2014-08-26. Retrieved 2018-02-05.
- Fuhr, Michael (2015). Globalization and Popular Music in South Korea: Sounding Out K-Pop. Routledge. p. 50. ISBN 1317556917.
- "역대수상자" [Previous Winners]. Golden Disc Awards (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- "가수 주현미 남편은 누구? 조용필과 함께한 기타리스트 겸 가수 임동신" [Who is singer Joo Hyun Mi's husband? Guitarist and Singer Im Dongshin]. Busan Ilbo (in Korean). 2016-09-06. Retrieved 2018-02-05.
- "힙합 아들, 트로트 엄마 주현미 함께 노래하는 날 꿈꿔요" [Hip Hop Son, Trot Mom Joo Hyun Mi, Dream of Singing Together]. The Chosun Ilbo (in Korean). 2014-11-16. Retrieved 2018-02-05.
- "23회 TV부문 수상자" [23rd TV Award Winners]. Baeksang Arts Awards (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- "설특집 '다시 부르는 그때 그 노래' 6부 10대가수(2)". YTN Radio (in Korean). 2013-02-11. Retrieved 2018-02-06.
- Lee, Eon-hyeok (2009-10-23). "2009 엠넷아시안뮤직어워드(MAMA) 11월 21일 개최" [2009 Mnet Asian Music Awards (MAMA) to be held on November 21]. Newsen (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-02-09.