16 May 1982
Seoul, South Korea
|Alma mater||Kyonggi University (majoring in acting)|
Universal D (Japan)
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||78 kg (172 lb)|
|Revised Romanization||Ju Ji-hun|
Ju Ji-hoon (Hangul: 주지훈; also romanized as Joo Ji-hoon; born May 16, 1982) is a South Korean actor. His first leading role was in the 2006 hit drama Princess Hours. His other notable works include The Devil, Antique and Mask.
Life and career
In 2003, Ju debuted as a model, in advertisements for clothing brands such as Calvin Klein, Levi's and Reebok. He won many awards for modeling. Before entering the entertainment industry, he studied at Tongwon College, majoring in e-Business.
2006–2008: Acting debut and recognition
Ju's debut drama was Old Love, but it was in 2006's romantic comedy Princess Hours, based on the manhwa Goong, that he achieved breakthrough. The drama was a hit domestically with a peak rating of 28.3%, and internationally across Asia, catapulting Ju into Korean Wave stardom. He won the Best New Actor award at the MBC Drama Awards along with his co-star Yoon Eun-hye.
In March 2007, Ju starred in KBS2 revenge drama The Devil, opposite Uhm Tae-woong and Shin Min-a. He reportedly lost 5kg for the role. The same month, he received the New Asian Star award at the 1st Astar TV Drama Awards for his performance in Princess Hours and The Devil.
Ju's movie debut was in Antique (2008), based on the manga Antique Bakery. The film was invited to the 59th Berlin International Film Festival. He then reunited with The Devil co-star Shin Min-ah in the romantic comedy The Naked Kitchen.
2009: Drug scandal
On April 27, 2009, Ju was arrested by Seoul Metropolitan Police on drug charges. He was arrested along with 15 people and an actress identified as Yoon on suspicion of supplying ecstasy. On June 23, 2009, Ju pleaded guilty in court to drug use of ecstasy and ketamine. He was sentenced to six months of jail time, suspended for one year, 120 hours of community service, and a fine of ₩360,000. The judge explained, "The nature of the crime is by no means light. However, he has reflected deeply on the crime and has not taken any drugs since the time a year and two months ago. Also, many fans from within the country and from overseas have appealed for an appropriate handling of the matter and sent petitions." Ju's lawyer also stated, "Of course he must accept the price of his crime, but wrong information kept coming out and exaggerated him as a habitual user, and some of it was unfair."
2010: Military service
On February 2, 2010, Ju enlisted in the Republic of Korea Army to serve his mandatory military service for five weeks of basic training at 306th draft in Uijeongbu of Gyeonggi Province, followed by active duty with the reserve forces.
In August, Ju co-starred with fellow actor Lee Joon-gi in the military musical Voyage of Life. The musical, to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Korean War, was co-produced by the Ministry of National Defense and Korea Musical Theatre Association. It ran from August 21 to 29 at the National Theater of Korea. Ju was discharged on November 21, 2011.
In August 2012, Ju made his comeback in the period comedy film I Am the King. Inspired by the popular novel The Prince and the Pauper, Ju played the dual role of Grand Prince Choong-nyung and the slave Deok-chil, in a fictional period before the prince becomes King Sejong the Great. This was followed by his starring role as pianist Yoo Ji-ho in the television melodrama Five Fingers, broadcast from August to November 2012. Joo also starred in medical drama Medical Top Team.
Ju made his film debut in China with Love Suspicion, a romantic thriler. In 2014, Ju was paired up with Ji Sung and Lee Kwang-soo in Confession, a neo-noir film that brutally explores the aftermath of three men's friendship after the death of one's mother.
In 2015, Ju starred in the period film The Treacherous, reuniting him with the director of Antique and Naked Kitchen. He then made his small screen comeback with SBS melodrama Mask alongside Soo Ae.
In 2016, Ju starred in the noir crime thriller Asura: The City of Madness, which premiered globally at the 41st Toronto Film Festival. He received the Popular Film Star award at the Korea Top Star Awards.
In 2017, Ju starred in the two-part fantasy epic Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds alongside an ensemble cast. He has also been cast in the thriller films Black Venus and Murder of Man or Woman.
|2009||The Naked Kitchen||Park Du-re|
|2012||I Am the King||Yi Do/Deok-chil|
|2015||The Treacherous||Im Soong-jae|
|2016||Asura: The City of Madness||Moon Sun-mo|
|2017||Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds||Hae Won-maek|
|2018||Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days|
|Dark Figure of Crime||Kang Tae-oh|
|2006||Princess Hours||Crown Prince Lee Shin||MBC|
|2007||The Devil||Oh Seung-ha||KBS2|
|2012||Five Fingers||Yoo Ji-ho||SBS|
|2013||Medical Top Team||Han Seung-jae||MBC|
Music video appearances
|2014||"Fxxk U"||Gain feat. Bumkey|
Awards and nominations
|2004||Korea Best Dresser Swan Awards||Best Male Model||N/A||Won|
|2005||Style Magazine||Most Stylish Male Model||N/A||Won|
|The Photographers' Association||Best Male Model||N/A||Won|
|Korea Best Dresser Swan Awards||Best Male Model||N/A||Won|
|2006||42nd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor (TV)||Princess Hours||Nominated|
|MBC Drama Awards||Best New Actor||Won|
|2007||KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||The Devil||Nominated|
|2008||Asia Model Festival Awards||Star Prize||N/A||Won|
|2009||45th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor (Film)||Antique||Nominated|
|Most Popular Actor (Film)||Won|
|2012||SBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Weekend/Daily Drama||Five Fingers||Nominated|
|2013||2nd APAN Star Awards||Popular Star Award||Won|
|MBC Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Medical Top Team||Nominated|
|2015||SBS Drama Awards||Excellent Actor Award for Drama Special||Mask||Won|
|Top 10 Star Award||Won|
|2016||The Night of Stars - Korea Top Star Awards||Popular Film Star Award||Asura: The City of Madness||Won|
|2017||22nd Chunsa Film Art Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Nominated|
|26th Buil Film Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Nominated|
- "Ju Ji Hoon Biography". JuJiHoon.com. 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-05-22. Retrieved 2011-08-06.
- "An interview of Joo Ji-hoon from Princess Hours". MBC Global Media. 14 February 2008.
- "China Crowns Joo Ji-hoon 5th Most Handsome Male". The Chosun Ilbo. 24 December 2008.
- "Ju Ji-hoon Selected New Asian Star of 2007". KBS Global. 13 March 2007. Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- "6 Korean Films to Screen at Berlin Festival". The Chosun Ilbo. 30 January 2009. Retrieved 2012-11-28.
- Elley, Derek (18 January 2010). "The Naked Kitchen". Variety. Retrieved 2012-11-19.
- "Movie Star Booked on Drug Charges". The Chosun Ilbo. 28 April 2009. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- Kang, Seung-hun (14 January 2010). "Joo Ji-hoon to enter military next month". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- Yun, Tae-hui (2 February 2010). "Actor Joo Ji-hoon enters military". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- Jang, Kyung-Jin (3 August 2010). "Lee Jun-ki says "depressed about Joo Ji-hoon turning first private today" (2)". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- Lee, Jin-hyuk (3 August 2010). "Joo Ji-hoon attends Voyage of Life press conference". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- Hong, Lucia (11 November 2011). "Ju Ji-hoon to be discharged from military next week". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- "Actor Joo Ji-hoon salutes his fans after completing his mandatory military service in Seoul on Monday". The Chosun Ilbo. 22 November 2011. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- Kim, Heidi (5 January 2011). "Actor Joo Ji-hoon signs with Bae Yong-joon agency". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- Lee, InKyung (7 March 2012). "Why are Actor Agencies Going the Idol Way?". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- Lee, Jin-ho (21 July 2012). "Joo Ji Hoon Says He'll Dress Up Like a Servant If I Am the King Succeeds". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- Cho, Jae-eun (10 August 2012). "New films plumb obscure Joseon period events ... with a comic twist". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Ho, Stewart (13 June 2012). "Joo Ji Hoon to Make Drama Comeback in Five Years; First Since His Drug Scandal". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- Yoon, Hee-seong; Suk, Monica (13 June 2012). "Ju Ji-hoon to return to the small screen, says he is reflecting on himself". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (26 July 2013). "Ju Ji Hoon Returns to MBC After 7 Years for Medical Top Team". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-07-26.
- "JU Ji-hoon to Make Debut in China". Korean Film Biz Zone. 14 May 2013.
- Conran, Pierce (16 December 2013). "JU Ji-hoon, JI Sung and LEE Kwang-soo Team Up for New Film". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- Jin, Eun-soo (20 June 2014). "Masculinity, brutality themes of Confession". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-06-20.
- "Ju Ji-hoon gambles on 'Treacherous'". Korea JoongAng Daily. 19 May 2015.
- Ha, Soo-jung (10 March 2015). "Joo Ji Hoon and Soo Ae Confirmed to Return to TV with Mask". enewsWorld.
- Lowe, Justin (October 14, 2016). "Jung Woo-sung and Hwang Jung-min star in Kim Sung-soo's South Korean gangland saga". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Actors Gong Hyo-jin, Cho Jung-seok, Cho Jin-woong win top star award". Yonhap News Agency. 29 December 2016.
- "ALONG WITH THE GODS Filming Ends, Release Pushed to December". Korean Film Biz Zone. 27 March 2017.
- "HWANG Jung-min Infiltrates YOON Jong-bin's DUKE". Korean Film Biz Zone. 6 January 2017.
North Korea Thriller Co-Stars LEE Sung-min, CHO Jin-woong & JU Ji-hoon
- "HWANG Jung-min Wraps NK Action-Drama BLACK VENUS". Korean Film Biz Zone. 3 August 2017.
- "KIM Yun-seok and JU Ji-hoon Face Off in MURDER OF MAN OR WOMAN". Korean Film Biz Zone. 1 September 2017.
- "Joo Ji-hoon to star in "Kingdom" with Bae Doona". Hancinema. October 22, 2017.
- "Joo Ji-hoon joins Ga-in music video". Korea JoongAng Daily. 28 January 2014.
- "2008 Asia Model Awards Model Star Award (Korea) Joo Ji Hun & Han Ye Seul". AMFOC.
- "2013 APAN STAR AWARDS". MK News (in Korean). 17 November 2013.
- "Actors Gong Hyo-jin, Cho Jung-seok, Cho Jin-woong win top star award". The Korea Herald. 30 December 2006.