Gelber at the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival
|Born||1975 (age 42–43)
Riverdale, Bronx, New York
|Occupation||Stage, TV, and film actor, singer|
|Spouse(s)||Marsha Loeb (m. November 2009)|
Jordan Gelber (born 1975) is an American actor and singer.
Early life and education
Jordan Gelber is the son of Donald and Barbra Gelber. He was born in Riverdale neighborhood of the Bronx, New York City, and grew up in Woodmere, Long Island. Gelber has a younger sister, Marielle. Gelber is Jewish. In 1993, he graduated from George W. Hewlett High School in Hewlett, Long Island.
He is known for originating the role of struggling comedian Brian in the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical Avenue Q. Gelber also performed on Broadway in Arthur Miller's All My Sons as Frank Lubey from 2008 to 2009, and he played Buddy in Elf from 2012 to 2013. In 2017, at the Hudson Theatre, Gelber played Louis/Billy in the limited-run Broadway revival of the Stephen Sondheim/James Lapine musical Sunday in the Park With George starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Annaleigh Ashford.
Additional Stage Performances
Television and film
Gelber has a recurring role in the CBS TV show Elementary as the medical examiner Dr. Eugene Hawes. He also appeared on the first three episodes of the HBO series Boardwalk Empire. His television work also includes a recurring role as CSU Tech Layton on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit and appearances in episodes of Law & Order: Criminal Intent, The Sopranos and Mr. Robot.
His film credits include a role in Riding in Cars with Boys opposite Sara Gilbert, the 2007 crime drama Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and The Taking of Pelham 123 in 2009. In late 2010, he starred in the Todd Solondz film Dark Horse, and will star in the upcoming film Bleed for This.
He lent his voice to the video game The Warriors as Chatterbox, leader of the Hi-Hats gang.
- "THE Q INTERVIEW: Lucy interviews Jordan Gelber". AvenueQ.com. Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-04-02.
- (20 August 1995). Path to Success Starts With Internship For college students, Newsday ("Jordan Gelber, a Woodmere native spent this summer interning at Dateline NBC in Manhattan. When he returns for his junior year at Stanford...")
- "Stanford Improvisors: 1991-2007". Stanford Improvisors. Retrieved 2007-04-02.
- Shin, Laura. "Where He Belongs". STANFORD Magazine. Retrieved 2007-04-02.
- "NYU Graduate Acting Alumni". 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- "All My Sons on Broadway – Cast Bios". Archived from the original on 21 December 2008. Retrieved 20 December 2008.
- "Sunday in the Park With George on Broadway - Cast & Creative". Retrieved 2017-03-29.
- "Jean Cocteau Rep, Now 'The Exchange,' presents New Plays". Broadway World. Retrieved 2007-04-02.
- "Jordan Gelber To Star in The Polish Play". TheatreMania. Retrieved 2007-04-02.
- Gans, Andrew (12 May 2007). "Avenue Q's Gelber to Be Part of Elvis People Cast". Playbill News. Playbill. Archived from the original on 11 May 2008. Retrieved 20 December 2008.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 2014-02-09.