Halliday in Salt Lake City, 2009
August 11, 1987|
West Jordan, Utah, U.S.
Animal rights activismGrand Jury Resistance
Jordan Cade Halliday (born August 11, 1987) is an American animal rights activist. He was indicted by a federal grand jury in 2009 on charges related to resisting a federal grand jury investigating local illegal animal rights activities, mainly concerning fur farm raids in Utah. He was jailed for nearly four months under a contempt of court order to compel him to testify. He was later released and indicted on criminal contempt of court. He pleaded guilty to "Criminal Contempt of Court" on July 27, 2010. The charge is a unique one in that it is sui generis, meaning it is neither a felony nor a misdemeanor. He was sentenced on November 3, 2010, to 10 months in prison with 3 years of probation upon release. He filed an appeal with the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals which was denied. He was accused of violating his terms by allegedly associating with the vegan straightedge. His house was raided by a dozen armed FBI agents and he started serving his sentence early on January 9, 2012. He was released on July 20, 2012, his civil time running concurrent with his criminal time. He was released with 3 years of probation. On August 8, 2013, he was granted early termination of supervision after filing a motion with his lawyer.      
Halliday was raised in West Jordan, Utah, where he graduated from Copper Hills High School. According to testimony by his mother he became vegan at age 12. Halliday decided to go vegetarian when he witnessed a cow give birth to a calf which was named after him. The calf later was sold presumably for veal or rodeo entertainment. When eating steak one night with his family, they joked they could be eating "Jordan", so Halliday pushed his plate away and has refused to eat meat ever since. During High School, Halliday formed SLARP (Salt Lake Animal Rights Project) which was a school club dealing with Animal Rights issues in Salt Lake. Later in life he formed the Salt Lake Chapter of the Animal Defense League known as ADLSLC.
Halliday was subpoenaed to testify before the Federal Grand Jury in Feb. 2009, in Salt Lake City, Utah. The grand jury was thought to be investigating recent mink releases by the Animal Liberation Front, which Halliday claims to support but isn't affiliated. Others feel it is a modern-day witch hunt to gather information on the local Animal Rights community. Halliday's Support Committee claims that the grand jury was allegedly formed to investigate the mink raids, but the questions asked went far beyond the inquests into criminal activity. Halliday allegedly used a form of Civil disobedience to resist the federal grand jury. He was found to be in civil contempt of court by order of a judge. He was incarcerated for nearly four months, after which he was let out and charged with criminal contempt of court. He pleaded guilty to "criminal contempt" on July 27, 2010. He was sentenced on November 3, 2010 to 10 months in prison and 3 years probation upon release. He filed an appeal with the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals which was denied. He was accused of violating his terms by allegedly associating with the vegan straightedge. His house was raided by a dozen armed FBI agents and he started serving his sentence early on January 9, 2012. He was released on July 20, 2012, his civil time running concurrent with his criminal time. He was released with 3 years of probation.      
Targeted residential picketing
Halliday was convicted of targeted residential picketing on December 1, 2009. This charge arose from a 2008 protest in the neighborhood of an animal researcher. His other charge of "Wearing a mask with the intent to commit a crime" was dropped after the jury failed to reach a verdict. He was found Not Guilty upon appeal.
Which Side Podcast
Halliday is currently the co-host of the political podcast Which side which features various guests with discussions involving animal rights, earth rights, atheism, anarchism, and many other topics.
- Jordan Halliday Bio, Support Jordan
- About Us Which Side Podcast
- Jordan Halliday Released! Archived 2010-02-02 at the Wayback Machine., North American Animal Liberation Press Office
- Animal-rights advocate could resolve contempt case.
- Animal-rights activist pleads guilty to contempt charge
- Jordan Halliday Pleads Guilty to Contempt
- Salt Lake man admits to contempt of court in mink farm raid case
- Animal rights activist pleads guilty to contempt in mink case
- Grand Jury Resister Jordan Halliday Accepts Plea
- Activist pleads guilty to contempt in mink case[permanent dead link]
- Call Out for Solidarity with Grand Jury Resistor Jordan Halliday Archived 2012-03-10 at the Wayback Machine.
- Go Vegan Radio interview with Jordan Halliday on October 3rd, 2010
- Animal Rights Activist Pays the Price of Grand Jury Resistance
- Grand jury resistance, Midwest and Utah
- Grand Jury Resister Jordan Halliday Sentenced to 10 months
- Jordan Halliday Sentenced to 10 Months in Prison
- Salt Lake City Grand Jury
- Chill Gazpacho, Not First Amendment Rights: Governmental Use of the Federal Grand Jury Against the Animal Rights Movement, by Emily Garber
- Motive company: interview with Jordan Halliday Archived 2012-04-26 at the Wayback Machine.
- Utah animal activist loses appeal, makes music video about prison
- Activist Begins Prison Sentence for Refusing to Name Names and For Quoting Dave Chappelle - Green is the new red
- Message from Jordan!
- It's coming through the air; writings from the inside #1 / Jordan Halliday
- “‘Extremist’ or Journalist?” — TV Interview
- statement - Support Jordan
- JORDAN IS FREE - Earth First News
- JORDAN HALLIDAY RELEASED! - BITE BACK Magazine Archived 2012-08-06 at the Wayback Machine.
- Jordan Halliday Released - Because we must
- Grand Jury Resister Jordan Halliday Update on, Voice of the Voiceless
- why did you go veg?, why did you go veg blog, 4th Feb. 2008
- Salt Lake Animal Rights Project[permanent dead link], Salt Lake Animal Rights Project.
- About The Animal Defense League of Salt Lake City, Animal Defense League of Salt Lake City
- Activists face grand jury in releases of minks, Ben Winslow, Deseret News, February 18th, 2009.
- Salt Lake City Grand Jury, Grand Jury Resistance Project
- Vegan Grand Jury Resister Released Faces New Criminal Charges, Peter Daniel Young, Voice of the Voiceless.
- Grand Jury Resister Faces One Year in Prison Archived 2012-02-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- Animal Rights Activist Sentenced to 10 months for Resisting a Grand Jury Archived 2010-11-09 at the Wayback Machine.
- Animal Rights Activist Sentenced To 10 Months In Prison Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- Animal-rights activist sent to federal prison in mink case
- Jordan Halliday Sentenced to 10 Months for Resisting Grand Jury
- Jordan Halliday Convicted of Violating City Ordinance Animal Defense League of Salt Lake City, Dec. 1st, 2009.
- , Jordan's Twitter account
- , Which Side Podcast
- , Which Side Podcast Tumblr