Jordan High School (Sandy, Utah)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
1907 - 1914
Jordan High School took root when a student body of just seven students led by Weston Morley began meeting in the basement of a church in Midvale. His small group began to grow in numbers and began to give him money. The enrollment numbers quickly grew, and soon it was necessary to move the students and faculty into their first real school building. This original school was initially known as The People's College because it was open to students of all ages. After a year, this small college became a student body of 2,000 students.
1914 - 1996
A new Jordan High School opened at 9351 South State Street. The building was on the National Register of Historic Places. Jordan Commons Movie Theatre is now at the old location of Jordan High School.
1996 - present
The current campus for Jordan High School is at 95 E. Beetdigger Blvd. (9880 S.). It can serve 2,600 students.
The school celebrated its centennial birthday in 2007. This huge two-day event to celebrate 100 years of education at Jordan High took place from 6 July through 7 July 2007.
Jordan High students have consistently scored above average on the ACT with a school composite of 21.3 compared to a national composite score of 21.2 for the 2006-2007 academic year. "Jordan High School". Archived from the original on 2008-04-21. Students at Jordan High also have a higher pass rate for Advanced Placement exams passing 69.0% of exams administered for the 2006-2007 academic year. The school has produced several National Merit Scholar award recipients, finalists and semifinalists as well as Utah State Sterling Scholar finalists.
Jordan High School students are known as Beetdiggers, as are the students at Brush, Colorado High School. This was due to the large areas surrounding the schools which were sugar beet fields. Up until about 1950, at harvest time, classes were usually cancelled during vacations of a week or two in October, which allowed students to assist with the harvest. Their mascot is "Digger Dan."
- Dee Benson - professional soccer player; Federal judge
- Don Fullmer - boxer, contender for World Middleweight Championship
- Gene Fullmer - World Middleweight Boxing Champion, 1957-62
- Andy Jones - professional acrobat; member USA High Diving Team, 2014
- Tyler Larsen - center for NFL's Carolina Panthers
- Don Lind - NASA astronaut
- S. Floyd Mori - California state legislator and educator
- Dick Motta - NBA basketball coach
- Bonnie D. Parkin - General President of the Relief Society, LDS Church
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jordan High School (Sandy, Utah).|
- Official school site
- Jordan High Alumni Association - raising scholarships for current Beetdiggers and sponsoring the Jordan High Centennial Celebration
- JordanAlumni.com - A hub for finding class reunions and class websites
- Canyons School District