October 10, 1989 |
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
|Other names||Young Gun|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)|
|Reach||73.0 in (185 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada|
|Team||Canadian Martial Arts Centre|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Jordan Taylor Mein (born October 10, 1989) is a retired Canadian professional mixed martial artist that competed in the Welterweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional competitor since 2006, Mein has also formerly competed for Strikeforce and King of the Cage.
Mein's father, Lee Mein, began operating a local promotion called Rumble in the Cage. It gave Mein, who had been training since the age of four, his first fighting opportunity and when he was just 11 years old he fought another local boy in a kickboxing match. That fight helped start Mein's fighting career that has included kickboxing tournaments, Brazilian jiu-jitsu competitions, at both the amateur and professional level.
Mixed martial arts career
Jordan's first amateur fight came when he was 14, and he compiled a 6-0-1 record before turning professional. He turned professional at the age of 16 in June 2006 at one of his father's Rumble in the Cage shows.
Jordan defeated Joe Riggs via second round KO at Wreck MMA: Strong and Proud on January 28, 2011.
Mein signed a four-fight deal with Strikeforce in July 2011 and made his promotional debut at Strikeforce World Grand Prix: Barnett vs. Kharitonov, defeating Evangelista Santos via TKO in the third round.
Score Fighting Series
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mein made a quick return to the Octagon as he faced Matt Brown on April 20, 2013 at UFC on Fox 7, replacing an injured Dan Hardy. He lost the fight via TKO in the second round, after a Brown knee fractured his nasal and orbital bones. Despite the loss, the back-and-forth bout earned him his first Fight of the Night bonus award.
Mein was expected to face Santiago Ponzinibbio on April 19, 2014 at UFC on Fox 11. However, Ponzinibbio was removed from the bout and was replaced by Hernani Perpetuo. He won the fight via split decision.
Mein was expected to face Thiago Alves on August 23, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 49. However, Alves pulled out of the bout citing a knee injury and was replaced by Brandon Thatch. Subsequently, Thatch also pulled out of the bout with Mein citing a toe injury. Mein would instead face Mike Pyle after Pyle's scheduled opponent at the event, Demian Maia, also pulled out with an injury. He won the fight via first round TKO. The win also earned Mein his first Performance of the Night bonus award.
The bout with Alves eventually took place on January 31, 2015 at UFC 183. Despite dominating the first round on the feet, Mein lost the fight via TKO in the second round after Alves landed a kick to the body.
In August 2015, Mein announced that he had retired from MMA competition.
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|39 matches||29 wins||10 losses|
|Loss||29–10||Thiago Alves||TKO (body kick)||UFC 183||January 31, 2015||2||0:39||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||29–9||Mike Pyle||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. dos Anjos||August 23, 2014||1||1:12||Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||28–9||Hernani Perpétuo||Decision (split)||UFC on Fox: Werdum vs. Browne||April 19, 2014||3||5:00||Orlando, Florida, United States|
|Loss||27–9||Matt Brown||TKO (elbows)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Melendez||April 20, 2013||2||1:00||San Jose, California, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||27–8||Dan Miller||TKO (punches)||UFC 158||March 16, 2013||1||4:42||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||26–8||Forrest Petz||TKO (knees and elbows)||Score Fighting Series 7||November 23, 2012||1||1:29||Hamilton, Ontario, Canada|
|Win||25–8||Tyler Stinson||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy||July 14, 2012||3||5:00||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Loss||24–8||Tyron Woodley||Decision (split)||Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine||January 7, 2012||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||24–7||Evangelista Santos||TKO (elbows)||Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Kharitonov||September 10, 2011||3||3:18||Cincinnati, Ohio, United States|
|Win||23–7||Marius Žaromskis||Decision (unanimous)||Score Fighting Series 1||June 10, 2011||3||5:00||Mississauga, Ontario, Canada|
|Win||22–7||Josh Burkman||Decision (unanimous)||MMA: The Reckoning||April 2, 2011||3||5:00||Rama, Ontario, Canada|
|Win||21–7||Keto Allen||Technical Submission (guillotine choke)||Rumble in the Cage 42||February 19, 2011||1||0:42||Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||20–7||Joe Riggs||TKO (punches)||Wreck MMA: Strong and Proud||January 28, 2011||2||4:30||Gatineau, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||19–7||Chase Degenhardt||TKO (punches)||Rumble in the Cage 41||November 6, 2010||1||1:09||Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada|
|Loss||18–7||Jason High||Decision (unanimous)||Rumble in the Cage 40||August 26, 2010||3||5:00||Taber, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||18–6||George Belanger||TKO (punches)||Pure Fighting Championships 5||July 24, 2010||1||2:55||Red Deer, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||17–6||Victor Bachmann||Submission (neck crank)||LGIO MMA 1: MacDonald vs. Horwich||April 23, 2010||1||4:21||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||16–6||Andrew Buckland||TKO (punches)||Pure Fighting Championships 4||March 12, 2010||1||N/A||Red Deer, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||15–6||Tim Skidmore||TKO (punches)||Rumble in the Cage 38||January 23, 2010||1||0:42||Calgary, Alberta, Canada|
|Loss||14–6||Mike Ricci||Decision (unanimous)||Ringside MMA: Rivalry||November 14, 2009||3||5:00||Drummondville, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||14–5||Chad Freeman||TKO (punches)||Rumble in the Cage 34||April 11, 2009||1||2:20||Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||13–5||Ryan Machan||Submission (kimura)||Pure Fighting Championships 2||March 13, 2009||2||1:14||Red Deer, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||12–5||Jeff Harrison||TKO (punches)||TKO 35: Quenneville vs. Hioki||October 3, 2008||1||0:50||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||11–5||Justin Bermudez||TKO (doctor stoppage)||Vipers MMA: Venom at the Snakepit||August 29, 2008||1||0:42||Calgary, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||10–5||Hollis Huggins||KO (head kick and punches)||Rumble in the Cage 30||June 28, 2008||1||0:20||Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada|
|Loss||9–5||Samuel Guillet||Submission (kimura)||TKO 32: Ultimatum||February 28, 2008||2||4:05||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||9–4||Dave Pariseau||Decision (unanimous)||RITC 27: Seasons Beatings||December 31, 2007||3||5:00||Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||8–4||Kevin Manderson||TKO (punches)||UCW 10: X-Factor||November 30, 2007||1||N/A||Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada|
|Win||7–4||Chris Ade||TKO (punches)||EFC 5: Revolution||November 3, 2007||1||1:25||Prince George, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||6–4||Adam Thomas||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Rumble in the Cage 26||October 27, 2007||1||2:24||Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||5–4||Garret Vernoy||TKO (punches)||UCW 9: September to Remember||September 7, 2007||1||N/A||Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada|
|Loss||4–4||Gavin Hesson||TKO (punches)||UCW 8: Natural Invasion||June 23, 2007||2||3:59||Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada|
|Win||4–3||Lindsey Hawkes||Decision (unanimous)||Ultimate Martial Arts Championship 3||February 17, 2007||3||5:00||Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada|
|Loss||3–3||Kevin Manderson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||RITC 21: Seasons Beatings||December 30, 2006||1||4:14||Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||3–2||Jason Geiger||Submission (choke)||UCW 6: Warzone||October 28, 2006||2||N/A||Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada|
|Loss||2–2||Tim Jenson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC: Insurrection||October 6, 2006||N/A||N/A||Vernon, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||2–1||Tom Wutpunne||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Rumble in the Cage 18||September 30, 2006||1||2:51||Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||1–1||Josh Kretjo||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Ultimate Martial Arts Championship 2||August 26, 2006||1||4:48||Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada|
|Loss||0–1||Rory MacDonald||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Rumble in the Cage 17||June 17, 2006||1||4:04||Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Werdum vs. Browne". UFC.com. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- "Canadian welterweight prospect Jordan Mein signs multi-fight deal with Strikeforce". MMAJunkie.com. 2011-07-15.
- "Mein Vs. Petz To Headline The Score Fighting Series". TopMMANews.com. October 17, 2012.
- "Young Gun Mein to Make UFC Debut Against Miller". TopMMANews.com. January 4, 2013.
- Matt Erickson (2013-03-22). "Injury forces Dan Hardy off UFC on FOX 7; Jordan Mein now meets Matt Brown". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- "Jordan Mein falls to Matt Brown in FOTN Thriller at UFC on Fox 7". mm-eh.ca. April 21, 2013.
- Staff (2013-04-20). "UFC on FOX 7 bonuses: Brown, Mein, Romero, Thomson earn $50,000". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Alex Schlinsky (2014-02-06). "Three new fights added to UFC on FOX 11; Thiago Alves, Jordan Mein, & Josh Samman return". Fansided.com. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- Jamie Penick (2014-02-27). "Jordan Mein gets new opponent for UFC on Fox 11 in Hernani Perpetuo". mmatorch.com. Retrieved 2014-02-27.
- Staff (2014-06-11). "Thiago Alves, Jordan Mein meet in welterweight tilt at UFC Fight Night 49". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- Steven Marrocco (2014-07-02). "Knee injury scratches Thiago Alves from UFC Fight Night 49, Brandon Thatch now faces Jordan Mein". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-07-02.
- Staff (August 2, 2014). "Brandon Thatch withdraws from Jordan Mein fight". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved August 2, 2014.
- Cody Rempel (August 6, 2014). "Mein Gets Third New Opponent at UFC Fight Night 49". TopMMANews.com. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- Jamie Penick (August 24, 2014). "UFC Fight Night 49 Bonuses: Rafael dos Anjos, Jordan Mein, Thales Leites, and Ben Saunders earn extra $50K each". mmatorch.com. Retrieved August 24, 2014.
- C.J. Tuttle (October 16, 2014). "Jordan Mein-Thiago Alves rebooked for UFC 183". sherdog.com. Retrieved October 16, 2014.
- Brent Brookhouse (August 26, 2015). "After 39 career fights in nearly 10 years, UFC welterweight Jordan Mein retires at 25". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved August 26, 2015.