17 December 1991|
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
|Height||183 cm (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||91 kg (14 st 5 lb)|
|Position||Fullback, Five-eighth, Wing|
As of 7 October 2018
Jordan Rankin (born 17 December 1991) is an Australian professional rugby league footballer who plays for the Huddersfield Giants in the Super League. He plays as a fullback, five-eighth and wing and previously played for the Wests Tigers and Gold Coast Titans in the National Rugby League, and Hull F.C. in the Super League.
At 16 years and 238 days, Rankin became the third youngest player to make their début in Australian first-grade rugby league after coming off the bench for the Titans against the Newcastle Knights in round 22. Eastern Suburbs player Ray Stehr in 1929 and Wests' Jack Arnold in 1936 are the only two players younger than Rankin on debut. Selected for the Australian Schoolboys side to play touring teams from England and France, Rankin was required to withdraw from the representative team in order to train with the Titans squad ahead of the game.
After his debut, Rankin returned to the club's NYC team, where he would stay for the remainder of the 2008 season. Rankin later said, "I'm not going to say I wasn't thrown in too young but it was an opportunity I took ... that I was given... it is one of those things I have to live with now. Sixteen is obviously, when you look at it now, a bit young."
In August 2008, Rankin re-signed with the Titans on a three-year deal. Rankin didn't add to his NRL game tally in either the 2009 or 2010 seasons, instead playing in the NYC for the Titans. After 2 seasons without a single NRL game, Rankin returned in round 16 against the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks. He later said, "I played one game and didn't play for another two years and that dents your confidence. I didn't play my natural game, I played a bit more conservative He played 8 NRL games during the 2011 season.
In late 2013 English Super League club Hull F.C. announced the signing of Rankin on a 2-year deal as a direct replacement for outgoing half Daniel Holdsworth. He scored a try on his Super League début against the Catalans Dragons. Rankin played two Championship matches for English club Doncaster in 2015.
On 15 September 2015, Rankin signed a 2-year contract to return to the National Rugby League with the Wests Tigers starting in 2016. He played on the wing in the first round match against the New Zealand Warriors, saying, "I wouldn't say it's my début all over again. I feel like I've got the opportunity now to play as a more experienced first-grade footy player." The next week, he scored his first try for the club against Manly.
Remaining on the wing, Rankin took over the team's goal-kicking duties in round 6. In round 9, he moved to fullback in the second half of the game after an injury to James Tedesco. He was awarded Man of the Match and finished with 2 tries and 7 tackle breaks.
Rankin mostly played reserve grade for Wests Tigers in 2017, making one appearance at halfback in round 11. Weeks later he was released to join the Huddersfield Giants immediately. New coach Rick Stone said, "The main attraction in Jordan Rankin is his ability to play in nearly every position in the back line. He's played in the outside-backs, he's played in the halves and he's played a whole NRL season on the wing." The move to Huddersfield was initially until the end of the season but in August 2017 was extended with a three-year deal.
|2008||Gold Coast Titans||1||-||-||-||-|
|2009||Gold Coast Titans||-||-||-||-||-|
|2010||Gold Coast Titans||-||-||-||-||-|
|2011||Gold Coast Titans||8||-||-||-||-|
|2012||Gold Coast Titans||6||1||-||-||4|
|2013||Gold Coast Titans||2||-||-||-||-|
(* denotes season still competing)
- "Hull 1st Team Jordan Rankin". Hull FC. Hull FC. 2015. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- Love Rugby League
- Dan Koch (2008-08-11). "Teen No.7 ready to graduate". Fox Sports News (Australia). Retrieved 2008-08-11.
- James Hooper (2008-08-10). "Titans to punt on 16-year-old". Fox Sports News (Australia). Retrieved 2008-08-10.
- Christian Nicolussi (2008-08-11). "Titan teen Jordan Rankin faces tough initiation". The Daily Telegraph (Sydney). Retrieved 2008-08-11.
- Daniel Lane (16 March 2016). "How Wests Tigers recruit Jordan Rankin rebuilt a promising NRL career". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- Adam Gardini (6 August 2008). "Titans re-sign boom youngster". League Unlimited. Archived from the original on 17 July 2011. Retrieved 10 August 2008.
- "Wests Tigers strengthen 2016 squad | NRL". Zero Tackle. 2015-09-15. Retrieved 2015-12-06.
- Michael Carayannis (2 March 2016). "Wests Tigers winger Jordan Rankin opens up on anxiety issues before NRL return". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- Matthew Mangiapane. "Rankin man of the match in good win". Footy Prophet.
- "Rankin exits Wests Tigers for Huddersfield". nrl.com. 17 June 2017. Archived from the original on 2 October 2017.
- "Jordan Rankin joins Huddersfield for rest of Super League season". Sky Sports. 16 June 2017. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- "Huddersfield Giants sign Jordan Rankin on permanent deal". Sky Sports. 31 August 2017. Retrieved 7 January 2018.