Jordan Smith (actor)
|Born||Jordan Patrick Smith
1989 (age 27–28)
Fife, Scotland, United Kingdom
Jordan Patrick Smith (born 1989) is a Scottish-Australian actor. After appearing in several guest roles, Smith was cast as Andrew Robinson in the Australian soap opera Neighbours. The character's backstory was changed to accommodate Smith's Scottish accent. Smith finished filming on Neighbours in 2012. He has since appeared in the feature film Unbroken, and the historical dramas Banished and Vikings.
Early and personal life
Smith was born in Fife. He attended St Columba's High School and played football for Dunfermline's youth academy. Following a holiday to Australia in 2001, Smith's family fell in love with the country and decided to emigrate. They moved to Brisbane in 2003 when Smith was thirteen years old. He attended Carmel Catholic College. Smith was encouraged to try acting by a friend.
After finishing school, Smith took a number of acting courses and appeared in a few commercials. He has previously appeared in H2O: Just Add Water, in which he played a surfer. Smith has also had roles in Mortified and Home and Away.
Whilst between jobs, Smith worked as a labourer. In 2009, he was offered the role of Andrew Robinson in the hit soap opera Neighbours, but nearly had to turn it down because he was in hospital. He says, "I'd been doing some work as a labourer and I'd been lifting up concrete floors when some of the concrete flew up and smashed into my face. My nose got all swollen and became infected, so I was kept on a drip of antibiotics for a week. I got the call to say I got the part while I still in hospital on the Sunday night (in Queensland) and I had to be in Melbourne by 7am the next day."
Smith has admitted that Neighbours had to change his character's background story because of his Scottish accent. Andrew was initially meant to have been brought up in Brazil, but the strength of Smith's accent meant that this had to be changed. He has also stated that he had to "refine" his accent in order to be understood by other cast members and the audience. Smith admitted that if he was not playing the role of Andrew Robinson he would have liked to play the role of fellow Neighbours character Lucas Fitzgerald, played by his co-star Scott Major, instead. While he was appearing on Neighbours, Smith resided with his co-star Chris Milligan, who played Kyle Canning.
On 26 November 2012, it was announced that Smith would be leaving Neighbours. He made his final screen appearance as Andrew on 29 March 2013. Smith co-starred in Angelina Jolie's Unbroken as Cliff, an Australian prisoner who is taken to a Japanese POW camp in World War II. In 2015, Smith began appearing in the BBC series Banished. He joined the cast of Vikings as Ubbe in 2016. Smith was in Australia when he decided to recorded an audition for the show. He was invited to audition in person two days later and he secured the role. Smith lives in Ireland while he is filming.
|2008||Home and Away||Damo Nicholls|
|2009–10||H2O: Just Add Water||Surfer #2
|2009–13||Neighbours||Andrew Robinson||Main cast|
- "A New Hottie Joins The Street!". Neighbours Official Website. 2 September 2009. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- Lamont, Colan (4 March 2017). "Scots Vikings star Jordan Patrick Smith is rampaging across our screens after bedding Margot Robbie". The Scottish Sun. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- "Jordan's new in the neighbourhood". Bayside Bulletin. 15 February 2010. Archived from the original on 17 February 2010. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- "Australian Television Information Archive". Australian Television Information Archive. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- "Mortified Season One". Users On Net. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- "Paul's son Andrew returns". Five TV. 2 September 2009. Archived from the original on 12 September 2009. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- "Jordan Smith interview". LastBroadcast. Archived from the original on 10 February 2010. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- "Neighbours new boy's accent drama". MSN News. 14 February 2010. Archived from the original on 9 July 2010. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- "Jordan: It's a dream come true". Five TV. 12 February 2010. Archived from the original on 25 January 2011. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (23 May 2011). "Christopher Milligan (Kyle Canning, 'Neighbours')". Digital Spy. Hachette Filipacchi UK. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (26 November 2012). "'Neighbours': Rhys, Andrew and Sophie to leave show". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- Groves, Don (11 October 2013). "Former Neighbours actor to star in Jolie movie". If Magazine. The Intermedia Group. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- Graham, Alison. "Banished Series 1 – Episode 1". Radio Times. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- Schwartz, Terri (21 April 2016). "Vikings: Meet the four new actors revealed in season 4's midseason finale". IGN UK. Retrieved 27 November 2016.