Jordi Raich Curcó (Barcelona -Spain- 1963).
Writer and expert in humanitarian aid, Jordi Raich is particularly known for his book El espejismo humanitario, where he dissects and analyses from the inside the weaknesses of humanitarian aid and re-examines the polemic relations between the aid worker and the different actors of the humanitarian theatre. El espejismo humanitario has been at the centre of many passionate debates and has become a work reference for NGOs and aid workers. Raich is known as well for his controversial theory developed in his essay The Ethical Evolution of the Humanitarian Idea, where he claims that 21st century humanitarianism is a reductionist concept that damages the development and implementation of human rights.
Jordi Raich studied Biological Sciences, International Law and International Relations. He works in humanitarian aid since 1986 as project manager, researcher and consultant in epidemics, famines and armed conflicts. He has worked in more than thirty countries, including Somalia, Rwanda, Guatemala, former-Yugoslavia, Afghanistan (where he lived three years), the US Naval Base of Guantanamo Bay (Cuba), Liberia, Israel/Palestine, The Sudan and Colombia and has travelled over one hundred.
He has been the Director of External Relations of Doctors Without Borders (MSF) and co-founded Architects Without Borders. He is also associate researcher, specialized in humanitarian operations, law and ethics, of the Institute of Studies on Conflicts and Humanitarian Action.
- ONGistán (Endebate 2014)
- Bogotá: Grafiticity. Colombian Street Art (Amazon Kindle 2013)
- El caos sostenible (Península 2012)
- AfganiSatán. A través de un país maldito (Amazon Kindle 2010)
- Guerres de Plàstic (Cossetània 2008)
- El espejismo humanitario (Debate 2004 and Random House eBook 2013)
- Afganistán también existe (RBA 2002)
- The Ethical Evolution of the Humanitarian Idea (Cuadernos para el debate 2002 and Amazon Kindle 2012)
- Mujer, todos somos una (San Pablo 2017)
- Was Gabo an Irishman? (Papen Press 2015)
- Humanitarismo militar, militarismo humanitario (Centre Delàs 2007)
- No a la guerra (RBA and Ara Llibres 2003)
- Before Emergency: Conflict Prevention and the Media (Universidad de Deusto 2003)
- Fogo sobre os media (Quarteto 2003)
- Guerra y olvido (Intermón-Oxfam 2002)
- El laberinto humanitario (Acento 1999)
- Evolución ética de la idea humanitaria, Jordi Raich, Papeles de cuestiones internacionales no 68, otoño 1999
- Història de MSF, Pilar Petit, MSF Publicacions, 2002
- Humanitario. El dilema, Rony Brauman, Icaria, 2003
- Reflexiones sobre el humanitarismo, Francisco Rey, Papeles de cuestiones internacionales no 83, verano 2003
- El espejismo humanitario, Jordi Raich, Debate, 2004
- Humanitarismo militar, militarismo humanitario, Centre Delàs, 2007
- Web author: wwww.jordi-raich.com