Cham in 2018
Jorge Gabriel Cham|
May 1976 (age 42)
|Known for||Piled Higher and Deeper|
|Thesis||On performance and stability in open-loop running (2002)|
|Doctoral advisor||Mark Cutkosky|
Jorge Gabriel Cham (Spanish: [ˈxorxe]) (born May 1976) is a cartoonist and roboticist best known for his popular newspaper and web comic strip Piled Higher and Deeper (PhD Comics). Cham was born in Panama and lives in the United States, where he started drawing PhD Comics as a graduate student at Stanford University. He has since been syndicated in several university newspapers and in four published book collections. He was featured on NPR on December 20, 2010. With physicist Daniel Whiteson, he is the coauthor of We Have No Idea (2017), a book about unsolved problems in physics.
Early life and education
Jorge Cham was born and raised in Panama to parents working in the Panama Canal Zone as engineers for the United States Government. He received his B.S. from Georgia Institute of Technology in 1997, and earned a PhD in mechanical engineering from Stanford. He subsequently worked at Caltech as an instructor and as a researcher on neural prosthetics.
In 2005, Cham began an invited speaking tour of over 80 major universities delivering his talk titled "The Power of Procrastination". In this lecture, Cham talks about his experiences creating the comic strip and examines the sources of grad students' anxieties. He also explores the guilt and the myths associated with procrastination and argues that in many cases it is actually a good thing.
- Coelho, Sara (2009). "Piled Higher and Deeper: The Everyday Life of a Grad Student" (PDF). Science. doi:10.1126/science.caredit.a0900042.
- Cham, Jorge Gabriel (2002). On performance and stability in open-loop running (PDF) (PhD thesis). Stanford University.
- Choe, Jaywon (22 July 2011). "The Joke Is on the Ph.D." The New York Times.
- Cham, Jorge (2012). "Jorge G. Cham homepage at Stanford". Stanford University. Archived from the original on 2012-04-22.
- Jorge Cham interview: "Creating PhDComics"
- "The "Piled Higher and Deeper" Book Collections". Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-07-08.
- Ruben, Adam (2010-09-09). "Three Books For Surviving Graduate School". NPR. Retrieved 2016-05-03.
- Cham, Jorge; Whiteson, Daniel (2017). We have no idea : a guide to the unknown universe. New York: Riverhead Books. ISBN 9780735211513. OCLC 956959104.
- Grim, Kathryn (March 2009). "Jorge Cham: Piled higher and deeper". Symmetry. Vol. 9 no. 1. pp. 30–35.
- Maddaus, Gene (15 May 2013). "Jorge Cham: The Overeducated Cartoonist". L.A. Weekly.
- "Pacesetters: Piled High". Georgia Tech Alumni Association. Retrieved 2007-02-27.
- Cham, J. G.; Bailey, S. A.; Clark, J. E.; Full, R. J.; Cutkosky, M. R. (2002). "Fast and Robust: Hexapedal Robots via Shape Deposition Manufacturing". The International Journal of Robotics Research. 21 (10–11): 869. doi:10.1177/0278364902021010837.
- Clark, J. E.; Cham, J. G.; Bailey, S. A.; Froehlich, E. M.; Nahata, P. K.; Full, R. J.; Cutkosky, M. R. (2001). "Biomimetic design and fabrication of a hexapedal running robot". Proceedings 2001 ICRA. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (Cat. No.01CH37164). 4. p. 3643. doi:10.1109/ROBOT.2001.933183. ISBN 0-7803-6576-3.
- "About PhD Comics". Archived from the original on 2006-10-19. Retrieved 2006-08-13.
- "Jorge Cham's Research". Archived from the original on 2007-02-27. Retrieved 2006-08-13.
- "Jorge Cham's Speaking Tour". Archived from the original on 2005-07-14. Retrieved 2007-02-26.