Jorge Cham at UIUC, 2007.
|Born||Jorge Gabriel Cham
May 1976 (age 40)
|Thesis||On performance and stability in open-loop running (2002)|
|Doctoral advisor||Mark Cutkosky|
|Known for||Piled Higher and Deeper|
Jorge Gabriel Cham (Spanish: [ˈxorxe]) (born in May 1976) is a Chinese Panamanian cartoonist and roboticist best known for his popular newspaper and web comic strip Piled Higher and Deeper (PhD Comics). Cham lives in the United States, where he started drawing PhD Comics as a graduate student at Stanford University. He has since been syndicated in several university newspapers and in four published book collections.  He was featured on NPR on December 20, 2010.
Jorge Cham received his B.S. from Georgia Institute of Technology in 1997, and earned a PhD in mechanical engineering from Stanford. He subsequently worked at Caltech as an instructor and as a researcher on neural prosthetics.
In 2005, Cham began an invited speaking tour of over 80 major universities delivering his talk titled "The Power of Procrastination". In this lecture, Cham talks about his experiences creating the comic strip and examines the sources of grad students' anxieties. He also explores the guilt and the myths associated with procrastination and argues that in many cases it is actually a good thing.
- Coelho, Sara (2009). "Piled Higher and Deeper: The Everyday Life of a Grad Student" (PDF). Science. doi:10.1126/science.caredit.a0900042.
- Cham, Jorge Gabriel (2002). On performance and stability in open-loop running (PDF) (PhD thesis). Stanford University.
- The Joke Is on the Ph.D., JAYWON CHOE New York Times, July 22, 2011
- Cham, Jorge (2012). "Jorge G. Cham homepage at Stanford". Stanford University. Archived from the original on 2012-04-22.
- Jorge Cham interview: "Creating PhDComics"
- "The "Piled Higher and Deeper" Book Collections". Retrieved 2007-07-08.
- Ruben, Adam (2010-09-09). "Three Books For Surviving Graduate School". NPR. Retrieved 2016-05-03.
- "Pacesetters: Piled High". Georgia Tech Alumni Association. Retrieved 2007-02-27.
- Cham, J. G.; Bailey, S. A.; Clark, J. E.; Full, R. J.; Cutkosky, M. R. (2002). "Fast and Robust: Hexapedal Robots via Shape Deposition Manufacturing". The International Journal of Robotics Research 21 (10–11): 869. doi:10.1177/0278364902021010837.
- Clark, J. E.; Cham, J. G.; Bailey, S. A.; Froehlich, E. M.; Nahata, P. K.; Full, R. J.; Cutkosky, M. R. (2001). "Biomimetic design and fabrication of a hexapedal running robot". Proceedings 2001 ICRA. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (Cat. No.01CH37164). p. 3643. doi:10.1109/ROBOT.2001.933183. ISBN 0-7803-6576-3.
- "About PhD Comics". Retrieved 2006-08-13.
- "Jorge Cham's Research". Retrieved 2006-08-13.
- "Jorge Cham's Speaking Tour". Retrieved 2007-02-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jorge Cham.|