|Occupation||Film writer and director|
|Known for||Isle of Flowers (1989)|
Life and career
Furtado attended university for courses in medicine, psychology, journalism and arts but didn't graduate. He began his professional career in the 1980s on a local channell called TVE-RS working as reporter, presenter, editor, screenwriter and producer. In 1982 created a TV show called "Quizumba", that mixed fiction and documentary with very audacious language for the Brazilian public television.
Between 1984 and 1986, Furtado was director of the museum "Museu de Comunicação Social Hipólito José da Costa" in Porto Alegre. At the same time, with the help of José Pedro Goulart and Ana Luiza Azevedo, he created the company "Luz Produções". With this effort realized his two first short films and produced plays for theater. From 1986 to 1990, he made dozens of TV commercials.
In 1987, he was one of the founders of Casa de Cinema de Porto Alegre, in which he still participates. In 1990, he worked on TV Globo making scripts for many TV series.
As director and screenwriter
- 2015 - Mister Brau (series)
- 2015 - Real beleza (feature film)
- 2014 - O mercado de notícias (documentary)
- 2014 - Doce de Mãe (series)
- 2012 - Doce de Mãe (Television film)
- 2011-2013 - A História do amor (series)
- 2011 - Homens de Bem (Television film)
- 2011 - Até a vista (short film)
- 2010 - Velazquez e a teoria quântica da gravidade (short film)
- 2009 - Decamerão - A Comédia do Sexo (series)
- 2007 - Rummikub (short film)
- 2007 - Saneamento Básico (feature film)
- 2004 - My Uncle Killed a Guy (PT: Meu Tio Matou um Cara) (feature film)
- 2004 - Oscar Boz (short film)
- 2003 - The Man Who Copied (PT: O Homem que Copiava) (feature film)
- 2003 - Cena Aberta (series)
- 2002 - Two Summers (PT: Houve uma Vez Dois Verões) (feature film)
- 2000 - Meia encarnada dura de sangue (TV show)
- 2000 - The Sandwich (PT: O sanduíche) (short film)
- 1999 - Luna Caliente (series)
- 1997 - Anchietanos (TV show)
- 1997 - Angelo is Missing (PT: Ângelo anda sumido) (short film)
- 1995 - Estrada (short film)
- 1994 - The Killing Machine (PT: A Matadeira) (short film)
- 1994 - Look Closely (PT: Veja bem) (short film)
- 1991 - Esta não é a sua vida (short film)
- 1989 - Island of Flowers (PT: Ilha das Flores) (short film)
- 1988 - Barbosa (short film)
- 1986 - The Day Dorival Faced the Guards (PT: O Dia em que Dorival Encarou a Guarda|O dia em que Dorival encarou a guarda) (short film)
- 1984 - Storm (PT: Temporal) (short film)
Only as screenwriter
- 2011 - A Mulher Invisível (feature film)
- 2010 - Clandestinos (series)
- 2010 - Antes que o Mundo Acabe
- 2008 - Ó Paí, Ó (series)
- 2008 - Romance
- 2005 - O Coronel e o Lobisomem
- 2003 - Cidade dos homens (series)
- 2003 - Lisbela e o Prisioneiro
- 2003 - Benjamim (feature film)
- 2002 - Dona Cristina perdeu a memória (short film)
- 2001 - Os Normais (series)
- 2001 - Caramuru - A Invenção do Brasil
- 2000 - A Invenção do Brasil (series)
- 2000 - Tolerância (feature film)
- 1999 - Três minutos (short film)
- 1995 - A Comédia da Vida Privada (series)
- 1994 - Memorial de Maria Moura (series
- 1993 - Agosto (series)
- 1990 - Memória (short film)
- 2003: "Grande Prêmio Cinema Brasil" as best director and best original script for The Man Who Copied.
- 2003: Best script on the "Brazilian Film Festival of Miami", for The Man Who Copied.
- 2003: Critics' award on the "Festival Internacional de Punta del Este" for The Man Who Copied.
- 2004: Prêmio ACIE de Cinema for Best Picture for The Man Who Copied.
- 2002: "Grande Prêmio Cinema Brasil" for best original script with Two summers.
- 2002: Best movie award on "Cine Ceará" for Two Summers.
- 2002: Best director award on "Cine Ceará" for Two Summers.
- 2002: Best movie award on "Festival de Cinema Brasileiro" in Paris, for Two Summers.
- 1995: "Kikito" of Best Brazilian movie on the "Festival de Gramado" for Felicidade é….
- 1989: Best short movie on the Berlin International Film Festival for Island of Flowers.
- 1988: Best short movie on the Havana Film Festival for Barbosa.
- 1986: Best short movie on the festivals of Gramado, Havana and Huelva, with The Day Dorival Faced the Guards.
- "Jorge Furtado's Porto Alegre". Harvard Film Archive. Retrieved 2007-08-28.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Jorge Furtado|
- Jorge Furtado on IMDb
- Site of Casa de Cinema de Porto Alegre
- Official website of the movie "O Mercado de Notícias"