Jorge López (physicist)
|Alma mater||Texas A&M University |
University of Texas at El Paso
|Fields||Nuclear physics |
|Institutions||University of Texas at El Paso|
Jorge Alberto López (born 1955 in Monterrey, Mexico) is a physicist and educator and the Schumaker Professor of Physics at the University of Texas at El Paso. He is known for his work in heavy ion collision dynamics and for his outreach to the Hispanic community in the United States to increase diversity in physics, effective teaching and mentoring of undergraduate students (particularly underrepresented minorities), development of bilingual physics education programs, and building collaborations between American and Latin American universities. He is one of the founders of the National Society of Hispanic Physicists and author of books on nuclear physics, surface science, and statistical analysis of elections.
- 2018 Nature Mentoring Award
- 2018 Texas A&M University College of Science Distinguished Former Student
- 2016 University of Texas System Regents Outstanding Teaching Award
- 2015 American Physical Society Edward A. Bouchet Award
- 2014 White House Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics, & Engineering Mentoring
- 2014 American Physical Society Division of Nuclear Physics Mentoring Award
- 2011 Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers Educator of the Year Award
- 2010 Society of Mexican American Engineers and Scientists Outstanding MAEStro Award
- 2007 American Physical Society Fellow
- Rosenthal, Judith (1996). Teaching Science to Language Minority Students: Theory and Practice. Multilingual Matters. p. 146. ISBN 9781853592720.
- "Faculty Page". UTEP Physics Department. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- "2015 Edward A. Bouchet Award Recipient". American Physical Society. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- Lopez, Jorge. "Physics Mentoring on the Mexico-U.S. Border". Science. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- Lucibella, Michael. "Bridge-builder to Hispanic Community Wins Bouchet Award". American Physical Society News. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- "A Brief History of Our Society". National Society of Hispanic Physicists. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- Woolston, Chris. "How four winning mentors help to build skills and dispel doubt". Nature. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- Hutchins, Shana. "Texas A&M Science to Induct Two into Academy of Distinguished Former Students". Texas A&M College of Science. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- UT System Regents' Award
- "Jorge Lopez profile at PAESMEM". PAESMEM. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- "Mentoring Award". American Physical Society Division of Nuclear Physics. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- Perez, Daniel. "Science Society Names UTEP Professor as Top Educator". News @ UTEP. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- "Physics Professor is awarded MAES Outstanding Maestro Award". UTEP Physics Department News Archive. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- "APS Fellow Archive". American Physical Society. Retrieved 15 January 2019.