Jorge Reyes (baseball)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Toros de Tijuana – No. 58|
December 7, 1987 |
Jorge Luis Reyes (born December 7, 1987 in Rio Grande City, Texas) is an American pitcher for the Toros de Tijuana of the Mexican Baseball League. He was the Most Outstanding Player in the 2007 College World Series for the Oregon State Beavers.
Reyes lettered 4 years for coach Dan Caballero. As a senior, he was named all-state first team, all-area first team, all-league first team, posted a 6-1 record, 0.32 ERA in 43.2 innings and had 78 strikeouts. As a junior, he was named all-state first team, all-area first team, all-league first team with a 9-0 record, 0.40 ERA in 51 innings with 101 strikeouts. Reyes also played American football and basketball.
Reyes was named a second team freshman All-American by Baseball America at the end of the 2007 season. He was also declared the 2007 College World Series Most Outstanding Player, only the 5th freshman in the history of the College World Series to be named as such.
Reyes posted a record of 7-3 during the 2007 season, including 2 games (2 victories) during the College World Series; the first one, a victory against Cal State Fullerton and the second one, a victory in the first game of the Championship Finals against the University of North Carolina. His ERA for the season was 3.10.
In 2014, he and his teammates on the El Paso Chihuahuas played a month-long prank on veteran teammate Jeff Francoeur. The prank was that Reyes was deaf. Reyes took elaborate steps to ensure the prank's success, including not listening to music in front of Francoeur and having the catcher sign (which was most likely not real sign language) while talking to him during mound visits. Teammate Cody Decker filmed and produced a seven-minute documentary, "On Jeff Ears," revealing the truth to Francoeur. The prank documentary went viral, getting over 1.4 million hits on YouTube.
- "Baseball America 2007 Freshman All-America Team". Retrieved 2007-06-29.
- "Jeff Francoeur’s minor league teammates tricked him into thinking a pitcher was deaf". USA Today. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- Townsend, Mark. "Jeff Francoeur’s new Triple-A teammates welcome him with month-long prank". Yahoo Sports. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- Antihero Baseball/Daylight Films (12 April 2014). "On Jeff Ears" – via YouTube.
- "Meet Cody Decker, the Royals’ utility man with a Screen Actors Guild card".
- "On Baseball: Red Sox bring another 'character' to Portland". 26 June 2016.
- Wild, Danny (5 June 2015). "Minoring in Twitter: The ugly side of Tommy John; Decker debuts new film".
- Career statistics and player information from The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Official Oregon State player biography
- ESPN - Schlabach: Reyes is Oregon State's family guy
- 2007 Oregon State baseball statistics