Rondón with the Baltimore Orioles
February 16, 1988 |
|June 29, 2014, for the St. Louis Cardinals|
(through 2015 season)
|Earned run average||12.33|
Jorge Leonardo Rondón (born February 16, 1988) is a Venezuelan professional baseball pitcher who is currently a free agent. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) with the St. Louis Cardinals, Colorado Rockies, Baltimore Orioles, and Pittsburgh Pirates.
Jorge Rondón began pitching professionally for the Cardinals when he was 18. From 2006 to 2011, he played on various rookie league and A-level teams. He received his first promotion to the Class AA Springfield Cardinals in 2011. The promotion coincided with increased strikeouts per 9 innings pitched (K/9) rates. With Palm Beach of the Florida State League that year, he posted a then-professional high of 9.1 K/9 in 26 2⁄3 innings pitched (IP). He yielded a 4.05 earned run average (ERA), 29 hits and 13 walks (BB).
Rondón split the 2012 season between Springfield and the Triple-A affiliate, the Memphis Redbirds, posting a 3.49 ERA in 49 innings with 50 strikeouts. On October 30, 2012, the Cardinals added Rondón to the 40-man roster to prevent him from becoming a minor league free agent.
The club optioned him to AAA-Memphis on March 11, 2013. He spent the entire 2013 season at Memphis, appearing in 51 games, pitching 67 innings and allowing a 3.06 ERA. He allowed 72 hits, 37 BB and struck out 42 (SO).
The Cardinals recalled Rondón and Eric Fornataro from Memphis on April 17, 2014, when they moved Joe Kelly to the 15-day disabled list (DL). However, he did not appear in a game before being optioned to AAA to clear a roster spot for top prospect Oscar Taveras.
Rondón was claimed off waivers by the Colorado Rockies on November 3, 2014. He was designated for assignment by the Rockies in May 2015. On May 10 he was claimed off waivers by the Baltimore Orioles.
Rondón was claimed off waivers by the Pittsburgh Pirates on October 26, 2015. He began the 2016 season with the Triple-A Indianapolis Indians, and was promoted to the major leagues on June 19. On June 24, Rondón was designated for assignment.
- Langosch, Jenifer (October 30, 2012). "Cardinals add righty Rondon to 40-man roster". MLB.com via St. Louis Cardinals website. Retrieved October 31, 2012.
- Langosch, Jenifer; Berry, Adam (March 11, 2013). "Matheny 'feeling great' after back surgery". MLB.com. Retrieved March 11, 2013.
- Bailey, J. J. (April 17, 2014). "Cardinals move Kelly to DL, call up two Memphis relievers". KMOV.com. Retrieved April 19, 2014.
- "Cardinals promote David Bell to bench coach". ESPN.com. Associated Press. November 3, 2014. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
- Kubatko, Roch. "Orioles claim Jorge Rondon off waivers (Orioles lose 6–2)".
- Wilmoth, Charlie (October 27, 2015). "Pirates claim Jorge Rondon from Orioles".
- "Pirates place Juan Nicasio on restricted list, swap out relievers".
- Todd, Jeff (June 24, 2016). "Pirates Designate Cole Figueroa, Jorge Rondon". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved June 24, 2016.