This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Night view of Baruah Chariali
|Zone||3 (Central, East & West)|
|Jorhat Municipal Board||1909|
|• Body||Jorhat Municipal Board|
|• Deputy Commissioner||Roshni Aparanji Korati, IAS|
|• Total||12.58 km2 (4.86 sq mi)|
|Elevation||116 m (381 ft)|
|• Total||153,889 |
|• Density||3,048/km2 (7,890/sq mi)|
|• Official||Assamese, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||JORHAT|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Jorhat|
- 1 Geography
- 2 Demographics
- 3 Culture
- 4 Media
- 5 Transport
- 6 Education and research institutions
- 7 Politics
- 8 Notable people
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Jorhat is located at  It has an average elevation of 116 metres (381 feet)..
The municipal area stretches to 9 square kilometres (3.5 sq mi) having 19 wards with a population of about 1.53 lakhs at present. The district spreads over 2,851 square kilometres (1,101 sq mi) and had a population of 870,000 according to a 1991 census. Population density at that time was 306 persons per square kilometre (793/sq mi). The sex ratio is 913 (913 females per 1000 males).
In 2011, Jorhat District Urban population was 219,565 (includes population of Mariani, Titabor and Teok) of which males and females were 113,555 and 106,010 respectively, while the rural population was 871,730, male 444,389 and female 427,341. There was an increase of 9.21 percent in the population compared to the population of 2001. In the previous census of India 2001, Jorhat recorded an increase of 14.69 percent to its population compared to 1991.
The average literacy rate of Jorhat in 2011 was 91.39%. Gender-wise, male and female literacy were 93.63% and 88.99% respectively. The total literates in Jorhat were 182,600 of which male and female were 96,806 and 85,794 respectively.
With regards to the sex ratio in Jorhat, it stood at 934 females per 1000 males, according to the Census 2011 Directorate.
The six daily newspapers published in Jorhat are - Dainik Janambhumi, Amar Asom, Dainik Agradoot and Asomiya Khobor in Assamese, the Purbanchal Prohori in Hindi and The Telegraph in English. The Eastern Clarion was the first English daily published in the city, but it went into administration. Apart from the dailies, weekly newspapers including Saptahik Janambhumi are also published in Jorhat. City Guide of Jorhat was the first yellow pages, published in July 1987. The first online yellow pages of Jorhatmycity  was initiated in January 2013.
Jorhat has a radio broadcast station of All India Radio (AIR) located in the outskirts of the city at Garmur.
Jorhat Airport (JRH), commonly known as Rowriah Airport, is located at Rowriah, which is within the city itself, approximately seven kilometres (4.3 mi) from the city centre. The airport has daily flights to Kolkata by Indigo Airlines. The airport is controlled by the Airports Authority of India.
Jorhat falls under the Tinsukia railway division of the Northeast Frontier Railway zone. The Jorhat Town railway station lies on the Furkating-Jorhat-Mariani branch line, has train services including Guwahati Jorhat Town Jan Shatabdi Express, Guwahati - Jorhat Mariani Inter-City Express, Kamakhya - Dibrugarh Intercity Express, Mariani Jorhat - Furkating Passenger and Jorhat - Tinsukia Passenger. The Mariani Junction railway station, situated on the Lumding-Dibrugarh section, is the main railway station of Jorhat district and is about 18 km (11 mi) from Jorhat.
The Inter State Bus Terminus (ISBT) of Jorhat is located at Tarajan, Kotokipukhuri, in the western part of the city, and provides connectivity to elsewhere in the state and the Northeast with regular buses from ASTC and private operators. Rickshaws and auto-rickshaws are the main mode of public transport within the city.
The Neamati multimodal waterways terminal on Brahmaputra National Waterway 2 in Jorhat district is part of the Bharatmala and Sagarmala projects. There are 19 National Waterways for the Northeast connectivity.
Education and research institutions
- Central Eri & Muga Research Training Institute, Ladoigarh, under Central Silk Board
- Indian Grain Storage Management and Research Institute, Jorhat
- Indian Institute of Plantation Management (IIPM), Jorhat Centre, under Min. of Commerce & Industry, Govt. of India
- Institute of Biotechnology & Geotectonics Studies (INBIGS), ONGC Complex, Cinnamara, Jorhat - 785008
- North East Institute of Science and Technology, Jorhat (N.E.I.S.T.) (Formerly R.R.L., Jorhat) under CSIR, Dept. of Science & technology, Govt. of India
- Rain Forest Research Institute (R.F.R.I.), Jorhat under I.C.F.E., Min. of Environment & Forests, Govt.of India
- Tocklai Tea Research Institute, Tea Research Association (T.R.A.) Tocklai under Tea Research Association, Ministry of Commerce, Govt. of India
- Assam Agricultural University (A.A.U.), under Government of Assam
- Assam Women's University, under Government of Assam
- Kaziranga University
- Jorhat Engineering College, Directorate of Technical Education, Government of Assam
- Jorhat Institute of Advanced Training for Computing (J.I.A.T.C.)
- Jorhat Institute of Science & Technology, formerly Science College, Jorhat, Government of Assam
- Kaziranga University, Mohbondha, Jorhat
- North East Institute of Management Science, (opposite the N.E.I.S.T.), Jorhat
- Jorhat Medical College and Hospital under the State Government of Assam
- Medical Institute Jorhat, under the Government of Assam.
- Bahona College
- C.K.B. Commerce College
- Chandra Kamal Bezbaruah College, Teok
- D.C.B. Girls College
- Jagannath Barooah College
- Jorhat College
- Jorhat Institute of Science & Technology (formerly Jorhat Science College).
- Jorhat Law College, M.G. Road, Jorhat
- Kakojan College, Kakojan
Higher secondary schools
- Balya Bhavan, Jorhat
- Carmel Convent School, Cinnamara
- Don Bosco High School, Lichubari
- Dipankar Vidyapith
- Don Bosco High School, Baghchung
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Jorhat
- Merryland High School
- Sankardev Seminary High School
- Shemford Futuristic School, Choladhara
- Spring Dale High School
- St. Mary's High School, Jorhat, Rowriah
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Jorhat
- Kendriya Vidyalaya (Indian Air Force Station), Jorhat-785005
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, NEIST(RRL), Jorhat-785006
- Kendriya Vidyalaya (ONGC)
Topon Kumar Gogoi of the Bharatiya Janata Party is the current Member of Parliament serving the 17th Lok Sabha from Jorhat, Assam. The M.L.A. from Jorhat assembly constituency is Hitendra Nath Goswami of the B.J.P..
- Krishna Kanta Handique, Sanskrit scholar, Indologist and philanthropist
- Amulya Barua, Assamese poet
- Ananda Chandra Barua, Assamese poet, dramatist, former president of Asam Sahitya Sabha
- Ananda Chandra Dutta, botanist
- Birendra Kumar Bhattacharya, the first Jnanpith Award-winning Assamese writer
- Ganesh Gogoi, Assamese poet
- Hiren Bhattacharyya, Assamese poet
- Hemendra Prasad Barooah, tea planter and industrialist
- Tarun Gogoi, Ex-Chief Minister of Assam.
- Jadav Payeng, The Forest Man of India
- Jitendra Nath Goswami, chief scientist of Chandrayaan -1
- Anuradha Sharma Pujari, Assamese journalist and author
- Zubeen Garg, Assamese and Bollywood singer
- Joi Barua, Assamese and Bollywood singer
- Ministry of Home Affairs Directorate of Census Operations, Assam (2011). "District Primary: District Primary Census Abstract 0117 Jorhat: Urban". 1813 Part B District Census Handbook (DCHB) Jorhat (PDF) (Report) (PART XII-B ed.). Assam: Census of India 2011. p. 24. 1813. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Jorhat Municipal Board, Functions of Jorhat Municipality".
- "redirect to /world/IN/03/Jorhat.html". fallingrain.com.
- "Census 2011 India". census2011.co.in.
- "Jorhat District Population Census 2011, Assam literacy sex ratio and density". Census2011.co.in. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Bhattacharya, Birendrakumar" in Amaresh Datta, ed., Encyclopaedia of Indian literature vol. 1 (Sahitya Akademi, 1987), ISBN 978-81-260-1803-1, p. 482 (excerpt available at Google Books).
- Bharatmala presentation
- "Central Muga Eri Research and Training Institute (C.M.E.R. & T.I.) Lahdoigarh, Jorhat Assam". cmerti.res.in.
- "Particulars of I.G.M.R.I.(FS), Jorhat, its functions and duties". Indian Grain Storage and Research Institute, Jorhat. Archived from the original on 13 January 2008. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- "ONGC :: Our Initiatives :: Institutes :: I.N.B.I.G.S." Ongcindia.com. Archived from the original on 28 August 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "ONGC ::Bilingual-Home". Ongcindia.com. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- toonworks business solution (1 January 2004). "Welcome NEIST". Rrljorhat.res.in. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Tocklai". tocklai.net.
- "Kaziranga University : A 21st Century Career University with a focus on research in emerging areas of Science, Technology and Management". kazirangauniversity.in.
- http://www.jiatc.org Archived 11 December 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- "Jorhat Institute of Science and Technology". jistassam.in. Archived from the original on 28 January 2016. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- Webx. "Welcome to Jorhat Medical college". Archived from the original on 22 March 2010.
- "Welcome to Bahona College". Archived from the original on 26 August 2014. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "CKB Commerce College". ckbcc.org. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- "Official Website of C.K.B. College, Teok". www.ckbcollegeteok.com. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- "D.C.B. Girls College, Jorhat, Asssam". dcbgirlscollegejorhat.org. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- "Welcome to J B College". Jagannath Barooah College. Archived from the original on 24 April 2012. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- http://www.jorhatcollege.org.in Archived 9 July 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- "Jorhat Law College, Jorhat, Assam, India- BA LLB, LLB, LLM". jorhatlawcollege.org. Archived from the original on 21 February 2016. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- http://assamjobguru.com/about-kakojan-college/. Missing or empty
- "Welcome To CONCEPT Group Of Institutions & Publications". Concept Edu. Archived from the original on 1 August 2015. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- "Welcome to "Pragjyotika A Group Of Institutions"". Pragjyotika Group Of Institutions. Archived from the original on 21 May 2013. Retrieved 24 August 2013.
- "Don Bosco Hr. Sec. School – Baghchung, Jorhat". dbsjorhat.org.
- http://www.dongme.ning.com Archived 9 April 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- http://www.sankardevseminary.org Archived 2 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- "Kendriya Vidyalaya, AFS Jorhat". Kvafsjorhat.org. Archived from the original on 26 April 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Kendriya Vidyalaya N E I S T (RR L) Jorhat". Kvrrljorhat.org. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Kendriya Vidyalaya ONGC Jorhat". Kvongcjorhat.org. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "List of Parliamentary & Assembly Constituencies" (PDF). Assam. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 May 2006. Retrieved 6 October 2008.
- "Jorhat (Assam) Election Results 2016". Election.in. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
|Look up jorhat in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jorhat.|