Águas with Benfica in 1962
|Full name||José Pinto Carvalho Santos Águas|
|Date of birth||9 November 1930|
|Place of birth||Luanda, Angola|
|Date of death||10 December 2000(aged 70)|
|Place of death||Lisbon, Portugal|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Born in Luanda, Portuguese Angola, Portuguese Empire from a white colonial family, Águas started his footballing career with local team Lusitano do Lobito, before moving to S.L. Benfica in 1950 where he gained legendary status.
With Benfica he won the Primeira Liga five times (1955, 1957, 1960, 1961 and 1963) and the domestic cup seven, also being crowned national league's top scorer on five occasions. In the years previous to Eusébio's explosion he was also instrumental in the club's back-to-back European Cup conquests, in 1961 against FC Barcelona (3–2), and the next season against Real Madrid (5–3), scoring his team's first goal on both occasions and being club captain; he failed to complete a hat-trick of wins in the competition after the 1–2 defeat to A.C. Milan in the 1963 final (he did not play).
Águas made his debut for Portugal on 23 November 1952, in a 1–1 draw with Austria, and went on to gain a total of 25 caps while scoring 11 times. His last appearance was on 17 May 1962, a 1–2 defeat against Belgium.
|1.||22 November 1953||Estádio do Jamor, Lisbon, Portugal||South Africa||
- European Cup: 1960–61, 1961–62
- Primeira Liga (5): 1954–55, 1956–57, 1959–60, 1960–61, 1962–63
- Taça de Portugal (7): 1950–51, 1951–52, 1952–53, 1954–55, 1956–57, 1958–59, 1961–62
- Portuguese Second Division: 1967–68
- Primeira Liga Top Scorer: 1951–52, 1955–56, 1956–57, 1958–59, 1960–61
- European Cup Top Scorer: 1960–61
- Taça de Portugal Top Scorer: 1950–51, 1952–53, 1954–55, 1957–58
- "O senhor Águas" [Mister Águas] (in Portuguese). Visão. 22 June 2011. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Portugal – All-Time Topscorers". RSSSF. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- ""O Luís Pedro [Fonseca] é que tinha tudo na cabeça. Ele era o doutrinador" – recorde entrevista com Lena d'Água em 2010" ["Luís Pedro [Fonseca] was the one that had everything in his head. He was the indoctrinator" – remember interview with Lena d'Água in 2010] (in Portuguese). Blitz. 25 August 2014. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Rui Águas e Kelvin: eles contam como se decide um Clássico" [Rui Águas and Kelvin: they will tell you how to decide a classic] (in Portuguese). Mais Futebol. 23 April 2015. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "José Águas". Footballdatabase. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Bicampeões para a história" [Back-to-back champions for the ages]. Visão (in Portuguese). Portugal: Impresa Publishing. May 2015. p. 44. ISSN 0872-3540.
- Galveias, Jorge (November 2004). José Águas, capitão dos campeões [José Águas, captain of the champions] (First ed.). Sete Caminhos. ISBN 989-602-032-9.
- Águas, Helena (June 2011). José Águas, o meu pai herói [José Águas, my hero father] (First ed.). Oficina do livro. ISBN 978-989-555-545-1.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to José Águas.|