José Álvarez (baseball, born 1989)
Álvarez with the Detroit Tigers
|Philadelphia Phillies – No. 48|
|Born: May 6, 1989|
Barcelona, Anzoátegui, Venezuela
|June 9, 2013, for the Detroit Tigers|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2018 season)
|Earned run average||3.69|
José Ricardo Álvarez (born May 6, 1989) is a Venezuelan professional baseball pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played in MLB for the Detroit Tigers and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim / Los Angeles Angels.
In the minor leagues, he was a 2009 New York-Pennsylvania League mid-season All Star, and a 2011 Florida State League mid-season All Star. In the winter of 2014-15, he was named Venezuelan Winter League Pitcher of the Year. He made his major league debut in 2013. In 2018 he was second in the American League in appearances, with 76.
Boston Red Sox
Alvarez was signed as an international free agent by the Boston Red Sox in July 2005. In 2009, pitching for the Lowell Spinners in the A- New York-Pennsylvania League, he was a mid-season All Star, and ended the season 8-3 for the Spinners with a 1.52 ERA.
He advanced as high as Class A ball before being traded in November 2009 with Hunter Jones to the Florida Marlins organization for Jeremy Hermida. Alvarez was third in the Class A South Atlantic League in wins as he went 10–3 with the Greensboro Grasshoppers in 2010, and he spent the following two seasons advancing in the Marlins organization. In 2011, pitching for the Jupiter Hammerheads in the A+ Florida State League, he was a mid-season All Star, and ended the season 6-5 for the Hammerheads with a 2.96 ERA. He was a two-time winner of the best changeup in the Florida Marlins farm system. In 2012 he pitched for the Jacksonville Suns in the AA Southern League, was league Pitcher of the Week for the week ended June 25, and for the season was 6-9 with a 4.22 ERA.
At the end of the 2012 season, he was released and was picked up by the Detroit Tigers.
Alvarez was invited as a non-roster free agent by the Detroit Tigers to their 2013 spring training. He played for the Class AAA Toledo Mud Hens, where by June 2013 he was leading the International League in strikeouts, Walks plus hits per innings pitched (WHIP), and baserunners per nine innings.
Alvarez was called up to the majors for the first time on June 9, 2013, and made his debut starting in place of Aníbal Sánchez. He recorded a win and a quality start, pitching six innings while striking out seven against the Cleveland Indians. He was sent back to the Toledo Mud Hens that same day and was recalled June 20 to start again in the place of Sánchez. On August 28, Alvarez was sent back to Toledo.
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim/Los Angeles Angels
In the winter of 2014-15 he pitched for the Caribes de Anzoategui of the Venezuelan Winter League, and was named Venezuelan Winter League Pitcher of the Year after leading the league in wins as he was 6-1 with a 1.91 ERA. He was then called upon by the Angels 64 times in the 2015 season, posting a 3.49 ERA and 59 strikeouts in 67 IP.
In 2016, Álvarez made 64 appearances, registering an ERA of 3.45 in 57 1⁄3 innings. He made 64 appearances for the third straight season in 2017, registering an ERA of 3.88 in 48 2⁄3 innings.
In 2018, Álvarez posted career bests in games (76; 2nd-most in the American League), wins (6), and ERA (2.71; 4th among left-handed AL relievers), and tied his career high with 59 strikeouts. He allowed three home runs over 63 innings, and limited left-handed batters to batting .206/.265/.338 against him with one walk and 26 strikeouts.
- "José Alvarez". soxprospects.com. Archived from the original on May 9, 2013. Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- Jose Alvarez Winter & Minor Leagues Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com
- Jose Alvarez Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball
- 2010 South Atlantic League Pitching Leaders | Baseball-Reference.com
- "Know your James Mungro Memorial Award Nominee: Jose Alvarez". The Detroit Hustle. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Snyder, Matt (January 16, 2013). "Detroit Tigers Sign Don Kelly, Invite 16 Others To Spring Training". Motor City Bengals. Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- Nightengale, Bobby (June 9, 2013). "Alvarez deals gem in debut as Tigers sweep Tribe". mlb.com. Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- Schmehl, James (June 8, 2013). "Detroit Tigers will call up starter Jose Alvarez from Toledo, will make corresponding move after game". mlive.com. Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- Beck, Jason (June 9, 2013). "Tigers' middle relief a concern for Leyland". mlb.com. Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- "Detroit Tigers acquire shortstop Andrew Romine, send Jose Alvarez to Los Angeles Angels". MLive.com. March 21, 2014.
- 2014-15 Caribes de Anzoategui Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com
- Jose Alvarez Stats | Baseball-Reference.com
- Jose Alvarez, Luis Garcia traded | MLB.com