José A. Teixeira
|José A. Teixeira|
|First Quorum of the Seventy|
|5 April 2008|
|Called by||Thomas S. Monson|
|Born||José Augusto Teixeira da Silva
24 February 1961
Vila Real, Portugal
José Augusto Teixeira da Silva (born 24 February 1961) has been a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) since 2008. Teixeira is the first Portuguese general authority in LDS Church history.
Early life, education, career, and family
Teixeira was born in Vila Real, Portugal. The LDS Church was not organized in Portugal until 1974, 14 years after Teixeira was born.
As a young man, Teixeira served as a missionary in the LDS Church's Portugal Lisbon Mission. He received a degree in accounting from Jaime Cortesao Technical School and a degree in business management from IAT-Technical Improvement Institute.
Teixeira's career included employment as an international controller for the LDS Church in Frankfurt, Germany, where he oversaw church finances in Europe and Africa. He was the regional manager of the church's area office based in Portugal.
LDS Church service
Teixeira has served in the church as a district president, bishop's counselor, high councilor, and counselor in a stake presidency. Teixeira was president of the Lisbon Portugal Oeiras Stake from 1994 to 1996 and an area seventy from 1996 to 2005. He served as president of the Brazil São Paulo South Mission from 2005 to 2008.
At the church's general conference in April 2008, Teixeira was accepted by church membership as a general authority and member of the First Quorum of the Seventy. He served as a counselor in the presidency of the church's Europe Area from 2009 to 2012 and subsequently as president of the area from August 2012 to August 2015. In August 2015, he became a counselor in the South America South Area and then became the area's president in August 2016.
- "Elder José A. Teixeira", Church News, 2008-07-05.
- First Presidency announces new Area Authorities, Church News, 23 March 1996.
- New Mission Presidents Church News, 14 May 2005.
- Called to Seventy, Church News, 12 April 2008.
- "LDS First Presidency announces area leadership assignments", Church News, 2 May 2015.
- LDS First Presidency announces changes to area leadership assignments, Church News, 28 April 2016. Retrieved 1 May 2016
- Walch, Tad (March 31, 2018). "New Young Women general presidency, members of the Presidency of the Seventy and 8 General Authority Seventies called". Deseret News.
- "Elder José A. Teixeira," Liahona, May 2008, p. 139
- R. Scott Lloyd, His family a nucleus for Church growth, Church News 5 July 2008. Retrieved 21 August 2015.