José Bedia Valdés
|José Braulio Bedia Valdés|
January 13, 1959 |
Selected individual exhibitions
- 1989 – Final del Centauro – Castillo de la Real Fuerza, Havana, Cuba
- 1994 – José Bedia: De Donde Vengo – Institute of Contemporary Art, University of Pennsylvania
- 2004 – Estremecimientos – Museo Extremeño e Iberoamericano de Arte Contemporaneo (MEIAC), Badajoz, Spain
- September 18, 2011 – January 8, 2012 – Transcultural Pilgrim: Three Decades of Work by José Bedia – Fowler Museum, UCLA
In 1978 he began participating with other artists in several collective exhibitions. In 1980 he conformed the exhibition XIX Premi Internacional de Dibuix Joan Miró. Fundació Joan Miró, Centre d’Estudis d’Art Contemporani, Parc de Montjuic, Barcelona,Spain; Los novísimos cubanos. Grupo Volumen I was a significant exhibitionn that took place at The Signs Gallery, New York. He was selected to participate in the Cubans exhibition in the 1st and 2nd Havana Biennial Bienal de La Habana, Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes. In 1990 he was in the XLIV Exposizione Internazionale d’Arte. Biennale di Venezia. Venice, Italy. In 1994, his work was exhibited at "InSite94: A Binational Exhibition of Installation and Site Specific Art" San Diego Train Station, San Diego, California. Most recently in 2001 his pieces were part of Inside and Out. Contemporary Sculpture, Video and Installations. Bass Museum of Art, IV Bienal del Caribe y Centroamérica, Museo de Arte Moderno, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. In 2013 Bedia participated in the collective exhibit Drapetomania: Exposicion Homenaje a Grupo Antillano in Santiago de Cuba.
He has obtained several awards for his artistic work:
- 1982 – First Prize in the "Salón Paisaje’82", Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes de La Habana, Havana, Cuba.
- 1993 – International Guggenheim Fellowship, New York City.
- 1988 – Distinction for the National Culture, Cuban Council of State, Havana, Cuba.
His pieces can be found in the permanent collections of:
- George Adams Gallery, New York City
- Arkansas Art Center, Little Rock, Arkansas
- Galería Nina Menocal in México
- Honolulu Museum of Art, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Loeb Art Center, Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, New York
- Ludwig Forum für Internationale Kunst, Aachen, Germany
- Miami Art Museum, Miami, Florida
- Porin Taidemuseo, Finland
- Centro Wifredo Lam, Havana
- Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes de La Habana, Havana
- NSU Art Museum, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- de la Cruz Collection, Florida
- Jose Bedia Works 19778-2006, Turner, 2007
- Jose Bedia: Transcultural Pilgrim, Bettelheim and Berlo, 2012
- José Bedia: Estremecimientos, Omar-Pascual Castillo, 2004
- Jose Viegas; Memoria: Artes Visuales Cubanas Del Siglo Xx; (California International Arts 2004); ISBN 978-0-917571-12-1 (Spanish)
- josebedia.com (Personal Website of Jose Bedia)
- Oral history interview with José Bedia, 1998, February 13 from the Smithsonian Archives of American Art
- Transcultural Pilgrim: Three Decades of Work by José Bedia at the Fowler Museum, UCLA