||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
José Dumont (born 1 July 1950, Belém, Pará) is a Brazilian TV and movie actor, best known for his role as the family father in Behind the Sun (Abril Despedaçado), an award-winning film of director Walter Salles. More recently, he has been lionised for his role as the slick artist agent-entrepreneur in the movie 2 Filhos de Francisco.
Born in the state of Paraíba, in Brazilian Northeast, Dumont has the typical physique du rôle of its inhabitants, and because of this is often chosen for interpreting them. He began his award-studded acting career in the theater and cinema, in 1975. He became better known throughout the country by his noted participation in the films Lúcio Flávio - Passageiro da Agonia, directed by Hector Babenco in 1977, and Gaijin, directed by Tizuka Yamasaki, in 1980. His first awards came in 1979, as the best actor in the film festivals of Gramado and Brasília, in O Homem que Virou Suco, directed by João Batista de Andrade, and in the film festival of Cuba. In 2004 he was again awarded as best actor in Narradores de Javé.
Dumont is also very much sought after as an actor in TV series and soap operas. He is in the permanent cast of Rede Globo. His most noted appearances were in América (2005), Terra Nostra (1999), Tocaia Grande (1995), Guerra Sem Fim (1993), Amazônia (1991), A História de Ana Raio e Zé Trovão (1990), Pantanal (1990), Grande Sertão: Veredas (1985), Corpo a Corpo (1984), Padre Cícero (1984), Fernando da Gata (1983), Bandidos da Falange (1983) and Lampião e Maria Bonita (1982), this last being his first TV appearance, with a role as lieutenant Zé Rufino in the story about the bandit (cangaceiro) Lampião.
- 2 Filhos de Francisco (2005)
- Cidade Baixa (2005) - Lower City
- Olga (2004)
- Narradores de Javé (2003) - The Storytellers
- Abril Despedaçado (2001) - Behind the Sun
- At Play in the Fields of the Lord (1991)
- Running Out of Luck (1987)
- A Hora da Estrela (1985) - Hour of the Star
- Avaete, Seed of Revenge (1985)
- Os Trapalhões e o Mágico de Oróz (1984) - The Tramps and the Wizard of Oróz
- Memórias do Cárcere (1984) - Memoirs of Prison
- O Homem que Virou Suco (1981)
- Gaijin - Os Caminhos da Liberdade (1980) - Gaijin, a Brazilian Odissey
- Colonel Delmiro Gouveia (1978)
- Lúcio Flávio, o Passageiro da Agonia (1977)
- Morte e Vida Severina (1977)