José Emilio González Velázquez
|José Emilio González Velázquez|
|Member of the Puerto Rico Senate
from the Arecibo district
January 2, 2004 – January 2, 2013
|Succeeded by||José Pérez Rosa|
|Born||San Lorenzo, Puerto Rico|
|Political party||New Progressive Party|
|Alma mater||University of Puerto Rico
Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico School of Law
Early years and studies
José Emilio González graduated from the University of Puerto Rico in 1974 with a Bachelor's degree in Political Science. He continued his studies at the Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico School of Law where he obtained his Juris doctor in 1977.
After passing the bar exam, González was named District Attorney of the Arecibo region. In 1979, he was promoted to D.A. from the Arecibo Supreme Court, where he worked until 1988. That year, he started his own private practice specializing in criminal law.
In 2004, González was elected to the Senate of Puerto Rico for the District of Arecibo at the 2004 general elections. He was the candidate with most votes for the position in that district. During that first term, he presided the Ethics Commission of the Senate, as well as the Jury Commission.
At the 2008 PNP primary, González won a slot in the ballot of the party and he was reelected at the 2008 general elections. During that second term, González presided the Commission of Criminal Justice. He also served as Secretary of the Natural and Environmental Resources Commission, and was a member of the Health and Government Commissions.
Return to private life
In December 2012, Governor of Puerto Rico Luis Fortuño appointed González, among others, to become a Superior Judge when he finishes his term as Senator in January 2013. The appointment has to be approved by the Legislative Assembly of Puerto Rico.
- Elecciones Generales 2004: Recuento Archived 2012-04-26 at the Wayback Machine. on CEEPUR
- Primarias 2008 Escrutinio PNP Archived 2016-03-03 at the Wayback Machine. on CEEPUR.org
- Elecciones Generales 2008: Escrutinio General Archived 2011-11-20 at the Wayback Machine. on CEEPUR
- "Primarias Locales 2012: Resultados Distrito Senatorial III - Arecibo". CEEPUR. March 22, 2012. Archived from the original on January 2, 2013.
- "Fortuño nomina a Liza Fernández y José Emilio González como jueces superiores". El Nuevo Día. December 3, 2012.
- Hon. José Emilio González Velázquez on SenadoPR