Barkero celebrates a goal for Levante in 2012
|Full name||José Javier Barkero Saludes|
|Date of birth||27 April 1979|
|Place of birth||Aretxabaleta, Spain|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|1996–1999||Real Sociedad B||96||(28)|
|2000||→ Toulouse (loan)||3||(0)|
|2001–2002||→ Eibar (loan)||41||(6)|
|2004||→ Poli Ejido (loan)||20||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
He amassed La Liga totals of 159 games and 30 goals over the course of one full decade, representing in the competition Real Sociedad, Numancia and Levante. He added 233/43 in Segunda División during eight seasons, with five clubs including the second.
Born in Aretxabaleta, Gipuzkoa, Barkero came from the youth system of Real Sociedad, playing one game with the first team in 1998–99. During eight seasons he appeared sporadically for the Basque club (17 La Liga matches maximum, in 2005–06), and served loans at SD Eibar, Polideportivo Ejido and France's Toulouse FC.
After CD Numancia gained promotion to the top flight, Barkero moved to the team from Soria in July 2008. On 14 September he netted from a wonderful long-range strike in a 3–4 defeat at Real Madrid, and added four more goals in the first 12 games; he finished his first season as the side's top scorer at 12, but they were eventually relegated as second from bottom.
Barkero scored 15 times for Numancia in the 2010–11 campaign, leading his team in that department in an eventual mid-table finish. Aged 32, he returned to the top division for 2011–12, agreeing to a two-year contract with Levante UD.
Barkero netted five league goals in his second season with the Valencians (seven overall). However, late into the campaign, he also accused teammates Sergio Ballesteros, Juanlu and Gustavo Munúa of lack of commitment during a 0–4 home loss against Deportivo de La Coruña, which led to several match-fixing allegations.
- Spain U20
- Real Madrid 4–3 Numancia; ESPN Soccernet, 14 September 2008
- El Levante ficha por dos temporadas a Barkero (Levante signs Barkero for two seasons); Marca, 19 May 2011 (Spanish)
- Incendio en el vestuario del Levante por las acusaciones de amaño entre jugadores (Fire in Levante locker room for match-fixing accusations between players); Libertad Digital, 1 May 2013 (Spanish)
- Levante thrown into doubt; Football España, 6 May 2013
- “Me retiro con la espina de no haber triunfado en la Real” (“I retire with not having made it with Real as a thorn in my side”); Noticias de Gipuzkoa, 15 February 2015 (Spanish)
- José Barkero – FIFA competition record