José Luis Calva
|José Luis Calva|
|Born||José Luis Calva Zepeda
June 20, 1969
Mexico City, Mexico
|Died||December 11, 2007(aged 38)|
|Cause of death||Suicide|
|Criminal penalty||84 years imprisonment|
|Conviction(s)||Murder (2 counts)|
|Victims||2 dead, probably more murdered victims|
|State(s)||Mexican Federal District|
José Luis Calva Zepeda (June 20, 1969 – December 11, 2007) was a Mexican writer and serial killer. Calva has been accused of murder in up to eight separate cases, all involving women. Calva had also confessed to cannibalism.
Calva's childhood was traumatic. His father died when he was two, and his mother used to bring men to his home whom the boy had to call "dad". When he was seven, he was raped by a 16-year-old friend of his older brother.
In October 2007, forces of the Federal Preventive Police went to Calva's home to arrest him under the suspicion that he was responsible for the disappearance of his girlfriend Alejandra Galeana, who was last seen on October 6. He was found eating a dish of human meat seasoned with lemon. Calva tried to escape by jumping through the window, severely injuring himself, but was captured.
Inside his flat, the police found the mutilated body of his girlfriend, human meat in the refrigerator, a frying pan with cooked human flesh and human bones in a box of cereal. Aside from that, an unfinished book titled Instintos Caníbales o 12 días (Cannibal Instincts or 12 days) and a picture of Anthony Hopkins portraying Hannibal Lecter was also found.
Calva was charged with two murders by the Court of First Instance in Mexico City. He was ultimately convicted and sentenced to 84 years in prison.
In the early morning hours of December 11, 2007, Calva, who apparently had committed suicide between 6:00am and 6:30am, was found hanging by his belt from the roof of his prison cell. No suicide note was found.
- "Se suicida 'El Caníbal de la Guerrero'". Televisa (in Spanish). Retrieved 2007-12-23.
- "El "poeta caníbal" es investigado por muertes en México". www.la-razon.com (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2007-10-17. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "El caníbal, su autobiografía entre la violencia y el rencor". ElUniversal.com.mx (in Spanish). Retrieved 2007-12-23.
- "Lo llaman el escritor caníbal". www.larepublica.com.pe (in Spanish). Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "'Cannibal' killer commits suicide". CNN.com. Archived from the original on 2007-12-15. Retrieved 2007-12-23.
- Encuentran ahorcado a el Caníbal en su celda / 13 de Febrero de 2008