José Luis Garcés
|Full name||José Luis Garcés Rivera|
|Date of birth||May 9, 1981|
|Place of birth||Puerto Caimito, Panama|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
|1991–1998||Ind. La Chorrera|
|1999–2000||Ind. La Chorrera||25||(8)|
|2005–2006||→ Nacional (loan)||15||(1)|
|2006–2007||→ Belenenses (loan)||12||(4)|
|2009||→ Al-Ittifaq (loan)||1||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of October 30, 2008.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 10 June 2015
At club level, Garcés plays in the striker position. Nicknamed el Pistolero, he played for clubs in Brazil, Uruguay, Bulgaria, and Portugal before he returned to Panama because he was not being paid in his club Académica de Coimbra.
He later signed a loan deal with Arabian club Al-Ittifaq but later returned to Panama to play for Árabe Unido, where he got arrested a couple of times and in April 2011 spent time in jail. He was later released in July 2011 and signed with San Francisco, making his return to football during the CONCACAF Champions League match against Seattle Sounders.
In July 2012 Garcés was again sentenced to serve time in jail on appeal for the alleged assault in 2011 on a woman who subsequently lost her baby, but in November 2012 he was again released after spending 5 months in prison. In March 2013 he was reportedly targeted by armed men in Puerto Caimito but came out unharmed.
Garcés made his international debut for the Panama national football team in 2000 in a match against Canada and has earned a total of 32 caps, scoring 9 goals. He represented his country in 10 FIFA World Cup qualification matches and played at the 2007 and 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cups.
- Scores and results list Panama's goal tally first.
|1||27 June 2003||Estadio Rommel Fernández, Panama City, Panama||Cuba||2–0||2–0||Friendly match|
|2||28 January 2004||Estadio Cuscatlán, San Salvador, El Salvador||El Salvador||1–0||1–1||Friendly match|
|3||17 November 2004||Estadio Rommel Fernández, Panama City, Panama||El Salvador||3–0||3–0||2006 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|4||26 March 2007||National Stadium, Kingston, Jamaica||Jamaica||1–0||1–1||Friendly match|
|5||8 June 2007||Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, United States||Honduras||3–1||3–2||2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup|
|6||10 June 2007||Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, United States||Cuba||1–0||2–2||2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup|
|7||1 June 2008||Lockhart Stadium, Fort Lauderdale, United States||Guatemala||1–0||1–0||Friendly match|
|8||4 June 2008||Lockhart Stadium, Fort Lauderdale, United States||Canada||2–1||2–2||Friendly match|
|9||22 June 2008||Estadio Cuscatlán, San Salvador, El Salvador||El Salvador||1–0||1–3||2010 FIFA World Cup qualification|
- CSKA Sofia
- National team
- José Garcés llegó y está en la plantilla oficial del Gremio - Crítica (Spanish)
- Uruguayo 2005/2006 - Nacional (Spanish)
- El CSKA Sofía fichó al delantero panameño José Luis Garcés - Terra (Spanish)
- José Luis Garcés logra acuerdo con Academica - La Prensa (Spanish)
- "Pistolero" Garcés se montará en el "expreso" - Crítica (Spanish)
- Pistolero Garcés es abaleado, permanece hospitalizado - TVN-2 (Spanish)
- Pa’l bote - El Siglo (Spanish)
- José Luis Garcés fue puesto en libertad - Prensa (Spanish)
- José Luis Garcés sale ileso tras balacera en Puerto Caimito - La Prensa (Spanish)
- José Luis Garcés es la nueva ficha del Tauro - La Prensa (Spanish)
- Tauro confirma 7 bajas para el Apertura, entre ellas "Pistolero" Garcés - Diario Pro (Spanish)
- "Pistolero" Garcés ficha por el Plaza Amador - Diario Pro (Spanish)
- José Luis Garcés – FIFA competition record
- CONCACAF Championship, Gold Cup 2007 - Full Details - RSSSF
- CONCACAF Championship, Gold Cup 2009 - Full Details - RSSSF