José Luis López Ramírez
|Full name||José Luis López Ramírez|
|Date of birth||March 31, 1981|
|Place of birth||San José, Costa Rica|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive Midfielder|
|Uruguay de Coronado|
|Broncos de Zapote|
|2008–2009||→ Melbourne Victory (loan)||18||(0)|
|2010||→ Dalian Shide (loan)||9||(0)|
|2011–2013||Belén Siglo XXI||53||(8)|
|2013–||Uruguay de Coronado||30||(1)|
|2001||Costa Rica U-20||7||(1)|
|2004||Costa Rica U-23||10||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 29 June 2014.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 2009
With Saprissa he has already won five national championships, a UNCAF Cup and a CONCACAF Champions Cup title, in less than four years, and was part of the team that played the 2005 FIFA Club World Championship Toyota Cup, where Saprissa finished third behind São Paulo and Liverpool.
López joined the Australian club Melbourne Victory in July 2008 on a two-year loan deal, after the club managed to free up a space for another international player following left-back Joseph Keenan's release by mutual consent. López made his debut for Melbourne Victory against Perth Glory in the 2008–09 A-League Pre-Season Cup on Saturday, July 26, 2008, with Melbourne winning the game 1–0 through a Michael Thwaite header. He returned to Saprissa in summer 2009.
In March 2010, López joined Chinese club Dalian Shide as a replacement of Zhao Xuri, who left the club for Xi'an Chanba. In July 2011, López moved to the newly promoted Costa Rican Primera División club Belén Siglo XXI on a free transfer and in August 2013 he signed for Uruguay de Coronado.
Commonly known as Puppy or Pupy, he has been an important player for the Costa Rica national football team at numerous levels, playing and captained in the under 20 2001 FIFA World Youth Championship held in Argentina, as well as representing the country with the U-23 team at the 2004 Summer Olympics. held in Athens.
He has also been capped 34 times for the full national team, making his debut in a friendly against the United States on September 7, 2003, playing for the team during 2006 FIFA World Cup and 2010 FIFA World Cup Qualifying.
With Melbourne Victory:
- José Luis López jugará con Uruguay de Coronado – Nación (Spanish)
- Puppy López lamenta ver juegos en la banca – Nación (Spanish)
- José Luis López Ramírez – FIFA competition record
- "Victory adds second Costa Rican star". Retrieved 2008. Check date values in:
- José Luis López vuelve al Saprissa – Nación (Spanish)
- Dalian Shide de China quiere contratar a José Luis López luego de pasar prueba – Nación (Spanish)
- ‘Pupy’ López se queda en Belén – Nación (Spanish)
- "International Friendly Matches 2003". RSSSF. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
- "CONCACAF Championship, Gold Cup 2005 – Full Details". RSSSF. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
- José Luis López Ramírez at National-Football-Teams.com