José María Maravall Herrero
Maravall was, until his retirement, the director of the Centre for Advanced Studies in the Social Sciences (CEACS -Juan March Institute in Madrid) and a Professor at the Complutense University of Madrid. He has taught at the University of Warwick and, as a Visiting Professor, at the universities of New York (NYU), Columbia, Harvard, and the European University Institute (Florence). He has had a long personal political experience, first in underground anti-Francoist politics and later, under democracy, in social democratic politics. He was the Spanish Minister of Education and Science from 1982 to 1988, and was a member of the Spanish Parliament.
Awards and honors
Maravall is an Honorary Fellow of St. Antony's College (Oxford), a Corresponding Fellow of the British Academy (FBA), and a foreign member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He is a "Commandeur de l'Ordre des Palmes Academiques" in France and has won the National Award for Political Science and Sociology in Spain.
- Dictatorship and Political Dissent (Dictadura y Disentimiento Político), St. Martin's Press, 1978
- The Transition to Democracy in Spain (La Política de la Transición), St. Martin's Press, 1982
- Economic Reforms in New Democracies (co-author with Luiz Carlos Bresser and Adam Przeworski), Cambridge University Press, 1993
- Los Resultados de la Democracia, Alianza Editorial, 1995
- Regimes, Politics and Markets, Oxford University Press, 1997
- El Control de los Políticos, Taurus, 2003
- Democracy and the Rule of Law (co-editor with Adam Przeworski), Cambridge University Press, 2003
- La Confrontación Politica, Taurus, 2008
- Controlling Governments (co-editor with Ignacio Sánchez-Cuenca), Cambridge University Press 2008
- Las Promesas Políticas, Galaxia Gutenberg 2013
- Demands on Democracy, Oxford University Press, 2016
- El PP crispa para que no voten los centristas and Los partidos de izquierda son para muchos una vía para resolver sus problemas materiales, two interviews with Maravall by El País. Adam Przeworski and Ignacio Sánchez-Cuenca (eds.), Democracy and Socialdemocracy: Hommage to José María Maravall (CEPCO). Maria Antonia Iglesias, La Memoria Recuperada, Madrid: Taurus, 2003.