José María Samper
|José María Samper Agudelo|
Daguerreotype of José María Samper Agudelo
José María Balbino Venancio Samper Agudelo|
31 March 1828
Honda, Tolima, Colombia
22 July 1888 (aged 60)|
Anapoima, Cundinamarca, Colombia
|Resting place||Central Cemetery of Bogotá|
|Occupation||Lawyer, journalist, politician|
|Alma mater||University of Bogotá (JD, 1810)|
|Subject||Travel literature, history of Colombia, politics of Colombia|
Elvira Levi Espina (1851-1852)|
Soledad Acosta Kemble
José María Balbino Venancio Samper Agudelo (31 March 1828 — 22 July 1888) was a Colombian lawyer, politician, and writer. In his writing he covered many genres including poetry, drama, comedy, novels, didactic works, biographies, travel books, and critical and historical essays. He collaborated in different periodicals of his time, was founder of La Revista Americana, and worked as managing editor of El Deber, and editor-in-chief of El Comercio.
José María Balbino Venacio was born on 31 March 1828 to José María Samper Blanco and Tomasa Agudelo y Tafur, in Honda, present-day Tolima. Among his siblings, two stand out: Agripina, who was married to Manuel Ancízar Basterra, and his older brother Miguel, a businessman and politician, and great-grandfather of Ernesto Samper Pizano. He married Elvira Levi Espina in 1851, but she died soon after in 1852 leaving no children. On 5 May 1855 he married Soledad Acosta Kemble, a renowned writer and journalist, and together they had four daughters, Bertilda, who become a nun, and took up poetry like her parents, Carolina (b. 1857) and María Josefa (b. 1860), both of whom died in 1872 during a smallpox outbreak in Bogotá, and Blanca Leonor (b. 1862).
- Samper, José María (1853). Apuntamientos para la historia politica i social de la Nueva Granada [Writings For The Political And Social History of the New Granada] (in Spanish). Bogotá: Imprenta el Neo-Granadino. OCLC 9291198.
- Samper, José María (1855). Un alcalde a la antigua y dos primos a la moderna: Una comedia de costumbrismos nacionales [One Antiquated Mayor And Two Modern Cousins: A Comedy of National Mannerisms] (Play) (in Spanish). Bogotá: Editorial Minerva. OCLC 12143367.
- Samper, José María (1861). Ensayo sobre las revoluciones políticas y la condicion social de las repúblicas colombianas [Essay On The Political Revolutions And the Social Condition of the Colombian Republics] (Essay) (in Spanish). Paris: Imprenta de E. Thurnot. OCLC 9291189.
- Samper, José María (1862). Viajes de un colombiano en Europa, Volume 2 [Travels of a Colombian in Europe, Volume 2] (Travel journal) (in Spanish). Paris: Imprenta de E. Thunot. OCLC 12336584.
- Samper, José María (1866). Martin Flores (Novel) (in Spanish). Bogotá: Imprenta de Gaitan. OCLC 15058863.
- Samper, José María (1873). Los Partidos En Colombia: Estudio Histórico-Politíco [The Political Parties In Colombia: A Historic And Political Study] (in Spanish). Bogotá: Imprenta Echeverria Hermanos. OCLC 4038552.
- Gómez Giraldo, Lucella. Melo González, Jorge Orlando, ed. Gran Enciclopedia de Colombia del Círculo de Lectores, tomo de biografías [Great Encyclopaedia of Colombia, Volume of Biographies] (in Spanish). Bogotá: Luis Ángel Arango Library. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- García Vásquez, Julio Cesar. "Ernesto Samper Pizano, Familiares Y Parentela" (PDF). Genealogía Colombiana (Family tree) (in Spanish). 4. Interconexion Colombia. Retrieved 2010-11-03.
- Restrepo Sáenz, José María; Rivas, Raimundo; Restrepo Posada, José (1991). Genealogías de Santa Fe de Bogotá, Volumen 3 [Genealogies of Santa Fe de Bogotá, Volume 3] (in Spanish). Bogotá: Editorial Presencia. p. 170. OCLC 28546996.
- Acosta, Soledad (August 2004). "Cronología" [Chronology]. In Ordóñez Vila, Montserrat. Novelas y cuadros de la vida suramericana [Novels and Portraits of South American Life] (in Spanish). Chronology by María Victoria González. Bogotá. pp. 405–406. ISBN 978-958-683-706-4. OCLC 254691569. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- Works by José María Samper at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about José María Samper at Internet Archive
|This article about a Colombian writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a Colombian historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|