José María Valderas Martínez
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (November 2011)|
Professor José María Valderas Martínez (for research purposes also known as José M Valderas) (born April 1, 1972 in Barcelona, Spain) is an Academic General Practitioner and health services researcher.
He graduated in Medicine from the University of Barcelona in 1997, and qualified as General Practitioner in 2003. Both his PhD (on the routine use of Patient Reported Outcomes in clinical practice) and MPH (development of a tool for the standardized assessment of Patient Reported Outcomes measures) were completed at the Health Services Research Unit at the Institut Municipal d'Investigació Mèdica (IMIM - Hospital del Mar). He subsequently worked with Barbara Starfield as a post-doctoral Research Fellow at the Department of Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins University, and then he went on to take a post as Clinical Lecturer at the National Primary Care Research and Development Centre  and the NIHR School of Primary Care Research, University of Manchester. He subsequently moved to the Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences, University of Oxford, where he set up and led the Health Services and Policy Research group and was involved in setting up the Policy Research Unit in Quality and Outcomes of person-centred care (QORU). He moved recently to the University of Exeter Medical School, where he took up the Chair in Health Services and Policy.
His research is focussed on the routine use of Patient Reported Outcomes in clinical practice, the study of the implications of comorbidity for the provision of health services, the evaluation of interventions aimed at quality improvement of health care and more generally research aimed at improving the delivery of primary health care. He has recently been awarded a NIHR Clinician Scientist Award for a 5-year programme of research on the use of patient reported outcomes in primary care patients with multiple conditions.
He serves as Associate Editor to the European Journal of General Practice. He has held visiting appointments as Senior Research Fellow at the London School of Economics, Scholar at the University of Sydney, and Fellow at the European Observatory of Health Systems and Policies, and has served as Associate Editor to the journal Quality of Life Research.
His most cited papers are:
- "Provision of feedback on perceived health status to health care professionals: A systematic review of its impact" by Espallargues, M., Valderas, J.M., Alonso, J. Medical Care Volume 38, Issue 2, February 2000, Pages 175-186 PMID 10659691, cited 66 time in Scopus.
- "The Spanish version of the Short Form 36 Health Survey: a decade of experience and new developments." [El Cuestionario de Salud SF-36 español: una década de experiencia y nuevos desarrollos]. by Vilagut, G., Ferrer, M., Rajmil, L., Rebollo, P., Permanyer-Miralda, G., Quintana, J.M., Santed, R., Valderas, J.M., Ribera, A., Domingo-Salvany, A., Alonso, J Gaceta sanitaria / S.E.S.P.A.S PMID 15860162, cited 96 times in Scopus
- "Defining comorbidity: Implications for understanding health and health services." by Valderas, J.M., Starfield, B., Sibbald, B., Salisbury, C., Roland, M. Annals of Family Medicine Volume 7, Issue 4, July–August 2005, Pages 357-363 doi:10.1370/afm.983 PMID 19597174 cited 68 times in Scopus
- "The impact of measuring patient-reported outcomes in clinical practice: A systematic review of the literature" by Valderas, J. M., Kotzeva, A., Espallargues, M., Guyatt, G., Ferrans, C.E., Halyard, M.Y., Revicki, D.A., Symonds, T., Parada, A., Alonso, J Quality of Life Research Volume 17, Issue 2, March 2008, Pages 179-193 PMID 18175207, cited 47 times in Scopus
Other recent publications include
- Valderas, JM; Fitzpatrick, R; Roland, M (2011). "Using health status to measure NHS performance: another step into the dark for the health reform in England". BMJ Quality & Safety. 19 (2): 227–34. PMID 2194943. doi:10.1136/bmjqs-2011-000184.,
- Tabarés-Seisdedos, R; Dumont, L; Baudot, A; Valderas, JM; Climent, J; Valencia, Alfonso; Crespo-Facorro, Benedicto; Vieta, Eduard; Gómez-Beneyto, Manuel (2011). "No paradox, no progress: inverse cancer comorbidity in people with other complex diseases". Lancet Oncology. 12 (6): 604–8. PMID 21498115. doi:10.1016/S1470-2045(11)70041-9.,
- Valderas, JM; Starfield, B; Forrest, CB; Sibbald, B; Roland, M (2009). "Ambulatory Care Provided by Office-Based Specialists in the United States". Annals of Family Medicine. 7 (2): 104–11. PMC . PMID 19273864. doi:10.1370/afm.949., cited 11 times
- Valderas, JM; Alonso, J (2008). "Patient reported outcome measures: a model-based classification system for research and clinical practice". Quality of life research. 17 (9): 1125–35. PMID 18836850. doi:10.1007/s11136-008-9396-4.,
- Valderas, Jose M.; Ferrer, Montse; Mendívil, Joan; Garin, Olatz; Rajmil, Luis; Herdman, Michael; Alonso, Jordi; Scientific Committee on "Patient-Reported Outcomes" of the IRYSS Network (2008). "Development of EMPRO: A Tool for the Standardized Assessment of Patient-Reported Outcome Measures". Value in Health. 11 (4): 700–8. PMID 18194398. doi:10.1111/j.1524-4733.2007.00309.x.,cited 2 times
- Tesis doctorals en xarxa. Evaluación del uso de medidas de calidad de vida en la práctica clínica: aplicación a pacientes con cataratas Link
- National Primary Care Research and Development Centre. Final Report: 2005-2010. Link[permanent dead link]
- Policy Research Unit in Quality and Outcomes of person-centred care Link Archived 2012-01-09 at the Wayback Machine.
- European Journal of General Practice. Editorial Board Website Link
- LSE Health and Social Care Staff Website Link
- European Observatory of Health Systems and Policies Staff Website Link Archived 2011-05-31 at the Wayback Machine.
- Quality of Life. Editorial Board Website Link
- Google Scholar profile Link