José Maria Pedroto
|Full name||José Maria Carvalho Pedroto|
|Date of birth||21 October 1928|
|Place of birth||Lamego, Portugal|
|Date of death||8 January 1985(aged 56)|
|Place of death||Porto, Portugal|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Pedroto was born in Almacave, Lamego, Portugal. A right midfielder, he played for Leixões SC, Lusitano, Belenenses and FC Porto. He was capped 17 times for Portugal, 1 with Belenenses and 16 with FC Porto. His first game was on April 20, 1954, a 3–0 loss to France, in a friendly match, and his last game, on December 22, 1957, a 3–0 loss to the Italy, in Milan, in a World Cup qualifying match.
His career continued in style in Académica Coimbra, where he was replaced by Mário Wilson, Varzim SC (after being sacked by Leixões), and in 1969 he had his first stint with Porto, winning a domestic cup. After that, he went to Vitória Setúbal.
As of the 2015-16 season, Pedroto is the all time leader in wins, by a manager, in the Portuguese League with 326.
- Primeira Liga (2): 1977–78, 1978–79
- Taça de Portugal (3): 1967–68, 1976–77, 1983–84
- Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira (1): 1983
- Taça de Portugal (2): 1974–75, 1975–76
- "A carreira de Pedroto em cinco "flashes"" [Pedroto's career in five "flashes"] (in Portuguese). Diário de Notícias. 7 January 2010. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- "Há trinta anos morria o pai do "portismo moderno"" [Thirty years ago died the father of "modern portismo"] (in Portuguese). SAPO. 7 January 2015. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- Prata, Bruno (9 January 2010). "O mestre da táctica e do conflito" [The master of tactic and conflict] (in Portuguese). Público. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- Marques, Sara (19 May 2014). "O dia em que Pedroto foi banido do FC Porto" [The day Pedroto was banned from FC Porto] (in Portuguese). Mais Futebol. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- Almeida, Germano (7 January 2015). ""Diz-me como jogas e te direi como deves treinar"" ["Tell me how you play and I shall tell you how to train"] (in Portuguese). Mais Futebol. Retrieved 17 April 2016.