José Martins Ribeiro Nunes
José Martins Ribeiro Nunes (5 January 1927 – 26 April 2012), also known as Zé Peixe or Joe Fish, was a maritime pilot. Unusually, rather than meeting and departing from the ships out at sea using a pilot boat, he would swim to and from the ships, jumping heights of more than 40 meters (130 ft) and swimming about 10 kilometers (6.2 mi) a day. Beneti Nascimento, a famous Brazilian writer, once wrote that "The greatness of this man is known all over the world, he is a living super-hero, with a sparkle in his eyes and always a smile. He is a man... who does not know what danger is, has no fear, not even when facing death."
- "Zé Peixe: 85 anos de uma vida quase toda dedicada ao mar". Infonet. 26 April 2012. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "80 anos - Zé Peixe / Prático – uma profissão de coragem". Infonet (in Portuguese). 2007-01-03. Archived from the original on 2011-07-06. Retrieved 2008-03-19.
- "Fisch muss schwimmen". Der Spiegel (in German). 2007-01-03. Retrieved 2008-03-19.
- (in Portuguese) "An article in Portuguese about José Nunes" April, 2007 Vida Simples
- (in German) "An article in German about José Nunes" June, 2003 Fish has to swim
|This Brazilian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|