Nunes in action for Mallorca in 2011
|Full name||José Carlos de Araújo Nunes|
|Date of birth||7 March 1977|
|Place of birth||Castelo de Paiva, Portugal|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
He amassed Primeira Liga totals of 129 games and two goals over the course of five seasons, representing Salgueiros, Gil Vicente and Braga. He spent most of his professional career, however, with Mallorca in Spain, signing in 2006 and appearing in 258 official matches in eight La Liga campaigns.
Born in Castelo de Paiva, Aveiro, Nunes began his professional career with modest clubs in the second and third divisions. He made his Primeira Liga debuts in the 2001–02 season, with soon-to-be-extinct S.C. Salgueiros.
After two solid seasons with Gil Vicente FC, Nunes signed with fellow league side S.C. Braga in July 2004, moving in January 2006 to Spain's La Liga with RCD Mallorca. He made his debut for his new team on the 29th, starting in a 0–3 home loss to FC Barcelona and adding four league goals in his first full campaign in the Balearic Islands.
An undisputed starter from his arrival – he was also awarded club captaincy early on– Nunes continued to figure prominently in 2009–10 as Mallorca won its first ten home league games of the season, with the player scoring twice, although one of those was an away fixture, a 2–4 defeat at Barcelona; eventually he netted four goals in 33 matches, helping the team to a fifth-place finish (fourth until the last minute of the last round).
In mid-August 2011, Nunes suffered a serious knee injury during a friendly with S.S.C. Napoli, initially being sidelined for seven months but recovering in less than four. He still contributed with two goals in 14 appearances during the campaign, to help Mallorca finish eighth.
- Braga defender to bolster Mallorca; UEFA.com, 18 January 2006
- Messi sella la victoria del Barça en Son Moix (Messi seals Barça win in Son Moix); El Mundo, 29 January 2006 (Spanish)
- Arango, nuevo capitán del Mallorca (Arango, new Mallorca captain); Marca, 24 July 2008 (Spanish)
- Nunes estará entre dos y tres semanas de baja (Nunes to miss between two to three weeks); Marca, 26 September 2010 (Spanish)
- Barca pass Mallorca test; ESPN Soccernet, 7 November 2009
- Nunes out for seven months; Sky Sports, 22 August 2011
- Caparrós recupera a Nunes y Cáceres (Caparrós gets Nunes and Cáceres back); Marca, 2 December 2011 (Spanish)
- El Mallorca hunde al 'submarino' a balón parado (Mallorca sinks 'submarine' through set pieces); Europa Press, 19 February 2012 (Spanish)
- Sporting de Gijón 2–3 Mallorca: La escalada balear deja 'tocado' a El Molinón (Sporting de Gijón 2–3 Mallorca: Balearic uprising leaves El Molinón 'hurting'); Goal.com, 21 March 2012 (Spanish)