José Pedro Fuenzalida
José Pedro Fuenzalida GanaApodo: Chapa
|Date of birth||22 February 1985|
|Place of birth||Santiago, Chile|
|Height||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|Playing position||Right winger / Right back|
|2008–2009||→ O'Higgins (loan)||51||(14)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20 November 2016.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 15 January 2017
José Pedro Fuenzalida Gana (Spanish pronunciation: [xoˈse ˈpeðɾo fwensaˈliða]; born 22 February 1985) is a Chilean footballer who currently plays as midfielder or defender for Universidad Católica of Chile.
A product of the Universidad Católica youth set-up, Fuenzalida was promoted to the first-adult team in 2004, at the age of 19. He debuted in a 4–0 defeat with Unión Española at San Carlos de Apoquindo for a league game, during a moment considered as one of the club's biggest sports crises.
After six month studying, he returned to professional football and joined rivals Colo-Colo on a four-year deal. Fuenzalida debuted on 13 January 2008 against Universidad de Concepción and scored his first goal in a 2–1 home win over Deportes Antofagasta. In June, he joined O'Higgins on loan after an unsuccessful tournament where only scored one goal in seven games.
In December 2009, it was reported that Fuenzalida finished his loan spell at O'Higgins and would return to Colo-Colo to face the next season. Seasons later, he helped the team to win the 2014 Torneo Apertura, being a key player in the title obtention which was his first honor playing for the club.
Usually called up by Marcelo Bielsa for the 2010 World Cup qualification, he was chosen by Jorge Sampaoli in Chile’s list of 23 for 2014 FIFA World Cup. In 2015, after being disaffected of the 30-man provisional list for the Copa América, he was re-considered by Sampaoli in the definitive list following the withdrawal of the injured Carlos Carmona.
|1||19 January 2013||Estadio Municipal de Concepción, Concepción||Haiti||3–0||3–0||Friendly|
|2||6 June 2016||Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara||Argentina||1–2||1–2||Copa América Centenario|
|3||22 June 2016||Soldier Field, Chicago, United States||Colombia||2–0||2–0||Copa América Centenario|
- Universidad Católica
- Boca Juniors
- 26. José Pedro Fuenzalida - Club Atlético Boca Juniors sitio oficial
- "Unión Española le pegó en el suelo a Universidad Católica". Radio Cooperativa. 10 April 2004. Retrieved 12 June 2015.
- "José Pedro Fuenzalida anuncia su retiro momentáneo del fútbol". Emol.com. Emol. 18 June 2007. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- "José Pedro Fuenzalida regresa definitivamente al fútbol". Radio Cooperativa. 28 December 2007. Retrieved 12 June 2015.
- "Marcador Virtual: Colo-Colo v Universidad de Concepción". Radio Cooperativa. 13 February 2007. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- "Colo Colo impuso su jerarquía frente a un frágil Antofagasta". Radio Cooperativa. 23 March 2008. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- "O'Higgins confirma llegada de Fuenzalida y Caroca". La Tercera. 16 June 2008. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- "Boca Juniors confirma el fichaje de Fuenzalida". Fichajes.net. 29 July 2014. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "José Pedro Fuenzalida: Quiero ganar títulos y volver a ser un jugador importante para la UC". Radio Cooperativa. 31 January 2016. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- "Sampaoli confirms final Chile squad for Copa America". goal.com. 1 June 2015. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- "Fuenzalida replaces injured Carmona in Chile's Copa América squad". ca2015.com. 7 June 2015. Retrieved 17 November 2015.