José Valdez (baseball, born 1990)
Valdez with the Detroit Tigers
|San Diego Padres – No. 50|
March 1, 1990 |
Don Gregorio Nizao, Dominican Republic
|July 31, 2015, for the Detroit Tigers|
(through September 24, 2016)
|Earned run average||4.66|
José Alfredo Valdez (born March 1, 1990) is a Dominican professional baseball pitcher for the San Diego Padres of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played for the Detroit Tigers and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Valdez played for the Dominican Summer League Tigers from 2009 to 2011. He played for the Gulf Coast Tigers in 2012. He played the 2013 season with the West Michigan Whitecaps and the Lakeland Flying Tigers and was the closer for both teams. He finished the season with 33 saves and a 2.74 earned run average. He was added to the Tigers 40-man roster on November 20, 2013.
Valdez was recalled by the Tigers on July 31, 2015, and made his major league debut later that night in a game against the Baltimore Orioles. In his debut, Valdez faced four batters, allowing three hits, two earned runs, and one walk, without recording an out in the inning, and taking the loss. Prior to being recalled, Valdez was 2–0 with one save, and a 2.03 ERA over his last 10 games with the Toledo Mud Hens. He was optioned back to Toledo on August 4 after his lone start to make room on the roster for Matt Boyd, who started the next day.
Valdez had a 4–4 record and a 3.44 ERA in 38 appearances with Toledo, having allowed 44 hits over 52 1⁄3 innings, with 33 walks and 40 strikeouts. Valdez was called up to the Tigers again on August 20, 2015, when starters Daniel Norris and Anibal Sánchez were placed on the disabled list. He made a total of seven appearances (9 innings) with the big-league club in 2015.
- "Future is bright for Whitecaps closer Jose Valdez". MLive.com. Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- "Tigers purchase contracts of seven players". MLB.com. November 20, 2013. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- Sipple, George (July 31, 2015). "Orioles rock Jose Valdez in his major league debut". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
- Schmehl, James (August 4, 2015). "Detroit Tigers option reliever Jose Valdez to Toledo, shift Buck Farmer to bullpen".
- Sipple, George (August 20, 2015). "Wounded Tigers place Norris, Sanchez on disabled list". Retrieved August 20, 2015.
- Beck, Jason (August 20, 2015). "Tigers place Anibal, Norris on disabled list". MLB.com. Retrieved August 20, 2015.
- Beck, Jason (June 7, 2016). "Tigers trade reliever Valdez to Angels for cash". MLB.com. Retrieved June 7, 2016.