Mexico City's Biblioteca Vasconcelos (Vasconcelos Library), also known as Biblioteca Vasconcelos or else la Biblioteca Vasconcelos or la Vasconcelos and labeled by the press as the Megabiblioteca ("megalibrary"), is a library in the downtown area of Mexico City (Buenavista neighborhood, Cuauhtémoc borough). It was dedicated to José Vasconcelos, the philosopher and former presidential candidate and former president of the National Library of Mexico. The library is spread across 38,000 square metres (409,000 sq ft) and had an initial planned cost of 954 million pesos (roughly US$98 million). The Congress of Mexico proposed plans to reduce the budget of 2006 that included cuts for all three branches of government. National Action Party (PAN) presented an alternative budget that preserved funds for Enciclomedia and the Vasconcelos Library.
Then President of Mexico Vicente Fox inaugurated the library on 16 May 2006, and stated that this was one of the most advanced constructions of the 21st century, and that it would be spoken of throughout the world. This inauguration took place a week before the deadline the president had to promote his accomplishments before the 2006 presidential election.
The library had to close in March 2007 due to construction defects. The Superior Auditor of the Federation detected 36 construction irregularities and issued 13 motions of responsibility for public servants of the federal government. Among the irregularities found was the misplacement of marble blocks at a cost of 15 million pesos (roughly 1.4 million dollars).
The library is located in downtown Delegación Cuauhtémoc at the Buenavista train station where the metro, suburban train, and metrobus meet. It is adorned by several sculptures by Mexican artists, including Gabriel Orozco's Ballena (Whale), prominently located at the centre of the building.
It was reopened to the public in November 2008 after 22 months.
The winning proposal for the library was designed by the Mexican architects [Alberto Kalach and Juan Palomar]
- "El Universal, el periódico de México líder en noticias y clasificados". Retrieved 29 September 2014.
- "En orden los recursos de Biblioteca Vasconcelos: CAPFCE". eluniversal.com.mx.
- "El Universal - - Inaugura Fox megabiblioteca "Jos Vasconcelos"". 20 June 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2014.
- La Jornada. "La ASF pide fincar responsabilidad a funcionarios de Vicente Fox". Retrieved 29 September 2014.
- "Kalach's Mexico City Library Shuttered". Retrieved 29 September 2014.
- "El Universal - - 32 mdp m s a la ´megabiblioteca´". 27 June 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Biblioteca Vasconcelos.|