Veras during his tenure with the Pittsburgh Pirates
October 20, 1980 |
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
|August 5, 2006 for the New York Yankees|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||3.91|
José Enger Veras Romero (born October 20, 1980) is a Dominican professional baseball relief pitcher who is currently a free agent. He was signed by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays organization in 1998. He made his major league debut in 2006 with the New York Yankees. He has also played in Major League Baseball (MLB) the Cleveland Indians, Florida Marlins, Pittsburgh Pirates, Milwaukee Brewers, Detroit Tigers, Chicago Cubs and Houston Astros.
- 1 Playing career
- 2 Pitching style
- 3 Family
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Veras was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in 1998. He rose through the Tampa Bay minor league system, mostly as a starter. Veras struggled when he reached AAA, and was converted to a relief pitcher. He was released after the 2004 season. He pitched for the Texas Rangers AAA affiliate, the Oklahoma RedHawks, in 2005.
New York Yankees
Veras signed with the New York Yankees before the 2006 season, which he spent most of in AAA, though he also made his major league debut, pitching 11 innings with a 4.09 earned run average (ERA). Veras was injured early in 2007, but rehabbed and returned to the major leagues as a September call up. After being called up to the majors early in the 2008 season, he emerged as a dominant force out of the bullpen and became the setup reliever after the Yankees traded Kyle Farnsworth. Veras was designated for assignment by the Yankees on June 16, 2009.
On June 24, 2009, Veras was acquired by the Cleveland Indians for cash considerations. On August 5, 2009, he was designated for assignment and on August 11, 2009, he was outrighted to AAA. He was called up again in September toward the end of the 2009 season. He was non-tendered by the Indians, making him a free agent.
On January 29, 2010, Veras signed a minor league contract with the Florida Marlins with an invite to spring training, and was added to the major league roster on April 3. On April 14 Veras was designated for assignment to bring up Chris Leroux to take his spot. Veras was called up on June 25, 2010. James Houser was designated for assignment to make room.
On December 18, 2012, Veras signed a contract with the Houston Astros for to a one-year, $2 million contract and a 2014 option worth $3.25 million with a $150,000 buyout. He played with the Dominican Republic in the 2013 World Baseball Classic.
On July 29, 2013, Veras was traded to the Detroit Tigers in exchange for Danry Vasquez and a player to be named later. At the conclusion of the season, the Tigers declined the club option for 2014.
Veras suffered extreme struggles early in the 2014 season, blowing 2 saves and allowing 10 earned runs in his first 6 appearances. Veras would then land on the disabled list, and quickly lose the closer role to fellow Cubs reliever Héctor Rondón. On June 3, he was designated for assignment. On June 10, the Cubs officially released Veras.
Second stint with the Astros
Third stint with the Astros
He has a mid to high 90s mph 4-seam fastball and a mid 80s changeup. Both pitches generate an above average number of ground balls. Veras also throws a mid 70s curveball, which is his top swing and miss pitch. He throws with a low 3/4 arm motion.
Veras is married to Gissel Veras. They have a daughter, Gijen, and a son, Genson.
- Piratas pactan acuerdo de ligas menores con José Veras ESPNDeportes
- Haudricourt, Tom (December 12, 2011). "Brewers trade McGehee for Veras". Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.
- Jahnke, James (July 29, 2013). "Detroit Tigers land RP Jose Veras in trade with Astros". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved July 29, 2013.
- Muskat, Carrie (December 27, 2013). "Cubs announce deal with righty closer Veras". MLB.com. Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- "Cubs put C Castro on DL, cut reliever Veras". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 3, 2014. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- Rogers, Jesse (June 10, 2014). "Cubs release Jose Veras". ESPN.com. Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- McTaggert, Brian (June 15, 2014). "Astros ink Veras to Minor League deal". MLB.com. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- "Astros call up RHP Veras". KSPR (Springfield, MO: Perkin Media). The Sports Xchange. June 26, 2014. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- Bowman, Mark (February 10, 2015). "Braves give righty Veras Minor League deal". MLB.com. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- Bowman, Mark (March 19, 2015). "Veteran reliever Veras released by Braves". MLB.com. Retrieved March 19, 2015.
- O'Brien, David (March 19, 2015). "Braves release veteran reliever Veras". Atlanta Journal Constitution. Retrieved March 19, 2015.
- Ortiz, Jose (May 15, 2015). "Astros ink Veras to Minor League deal". Chron.com. Retrieved May 15, 2015.
- "Player Card: Jose Veras". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- Jose Veras: Biography and Career Highlights. yankees.com
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)