16 July 1945 |
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, film producer|
Jos Stelling (born 16 July 1945) is a Dutch film director and screenwriter. He has directed 12 films, and is working on his new film (release date early 2011) The Girl and Death, in which Dutch actress Sylvia Hoeks will play the lead role.
He made his debut as a film director in 1974 with Mariken van Nieumegen, which was selected for the official Cannes competition in 1975.
In 1981 he founded the Dutch Film Days a festival for Dutch directors to give them the possibility to show their films and to create an informal platform for the filmmakers. He continued to serve as chairman and director until the 1991 edition. After he abdicated the festival was renamed the Dutch Film Festival. In 1989 he was a member of the jury at the 16th Moscow International Film Festival. In 2002 he was a member of the jury at the 24th Moscow International Film Festival. He was also the president of the jury of the 1st Odessa International Film Festival.
Stelling is founder and owner of two arthouse cinemas in Utrecht, Springhaver (since 1978) & Louis Hartlooper Complex (since 2004).
- Mariken van Nieumeghen (1974)
- Elckerlyc (1975)
- Rembrandt fecit 1669 (1977)
- The Pretenders (1981)
- The Illusionist (1983)
- The Pointsman (De Wisselwachter) (1986)
- The Waiting Room (1995)
- The Flying Dutchman (1995)
- No Trains No Planes (1999)
- The Gas Station (2000)
- The Gallery (2003)
- Duska (2007)
- The Visit (2010) based on a short story of Remco Campert
- The Girl and Death (2012)
Awards and nominations
- 1975 - Selected for the Official Competition, 1975 Cannes Film Festival: Mariken van Nieumeghen
- 1981 - Nomination Golden Prize, 12th Moscow International Film Festival, for The Pretenders
- "16th Moscow International Film Festival (1989)". MIFF. Retrieved 2013-02-24.
- "24th Moscow International Film Festival (2002)". MIFF. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- Competition program OIFF official site
- "Festival de Cannes: Mariken van Nieumeghen". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- "12th Moscow International Film Festival (1981)". MIFF. Retrieved 2013-01-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jos Stelling.|