Jose B. Gonzalez
|Jose B. Gonzalez|
|Born||San Salvador, El Salvador|
|Occupation||Poet, Educator, Featured Speaker|
Gonzalez authored the poetry collection, Toys Made of Rock (Bilingual Review Press, 2015), and with John S. Christie, served as Co-Editor of Latino Boom: An Anthology of U.S. Latino Literature. He was born in San Salvador, El Salvador in 1967, where he lived until he was eight. He and his family then moved to New London, Connecticut.
He is a graduate of New London High School, and holds a Bachelor of Science from Bryant University, a Master's in Teaching English from Brown University, and an Ph.D. in English from the University of Rhode Island. He is a professor of English at the United States Coast Guard Academy in New London, Connecticut.
His poetry has been published in Quercus Review, Callaloo, The Teacher's Voice, Palabra, Acentos Review, and Colere, and anthologies including Coloring Book, Nantucket: A Collection, and Latino Boom: An Anthology of U.S. Latino Literature, and Ocho. He founded LatinoStories.com.
He is the recipient of the following awards:
- 2003 National Association of Multicultural Education CT Faculty of the Year
- 2006 NEATE Poet of the Year
- 2009 AAHHE Outstanding Latino Faculty of the Year
- 2011-2012 Fulbright Scholar
- 2015 Latino De Oro (Arts and Culture)
- 2015 International Latino Book Award Finalist 
- Latino Boom An Anthology of U.S. Latino Literature. Pearson (John S. Christie, co-editor). 2006. ISBN 9780321093837.
Poems in Anthologies
- The Norton Introduction to Literature (12th ed.) edited by Kelly J. Mays. Norton. 2016. ISBN 978-1-939743-15-2.
- Theatre Under My Skin, Contemporary Salvadoran Poetry Edited by Alexandra Rytton Regaled and Tania Pleitez. Kalina. 2016. ISBN 999238767X.
- Bullying: Replies, Rebuttals, Confessions, and Catharsis: A Multigenerational and Multicultural Anthology Edited by María Luisa Arroyo and Magdalena Gómez. Skyhorse. 2012. ISBN 1616087277.
- Coloring Book: An Eclectic Anthology of Fiction and Poetry by Multicultural Writers edited by boice-Terrel Adams. Rattlecat. 2003. ISBN 0970134037.
Gonzalez has been a featured speaker throughout the country including at Fairfield University, Rutgers University Pittsburg State University (Kansas), Del Mar College (Corpus Christi, Texas), Cornell University  Connecticut College, The Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian in Washington DC, at festivals such as the Newburyport Literary Festival, and the Sunken Garden Poetry Festival. He has presented his poetry in countries such as El Salvador and Spain.
- José B. González. "Toys Made of Rock | Bilingual Press". Bilingualpress.clas.asu.edu. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "Alumnus tells New London grads city made them tough - News from southeastern Connecticut". The Day. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "United States Coast Guard Academy website". Cga.edu. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- "The Bilingual Conundrum". NPR. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- "Jose B. Gonzales". Poets & Writers.
- "LatinoStores - About us". Retrieved February 15, 2017.
- "Annual New England Conference on Multicultural Education (NECME)". New England Conference on Multicultural Education (NECME). Retrieved February 15, 2017.
- "Outstanding Latino/a Faculty in Higher Education: Service/Teaching in Higher Education (Teaching Institutions)". AAHHE.
- "New London High grad earns Fulbright Scholarship". The Day. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- "CTLatinoNews)". CT Latino News.
- "2016 Int'l Latino Book Award Finalist" (PDF). App.box.com. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "THE NORTON INTRODUCTION TO LITERATURE, TWELFTH EDITION" (PDF). Media.wwnorton.com. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "Bullying: Replies, Rebuttals, Confessions, and Catharsis: Maria Luisa Arroyo, Magdalena Gomez: 9781616087272: Amazon.com: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- Boice-Terrel Allen. "Coloring Book: An Eclectic Anthology of Fiction and Poetry by Multicultural Writers: boice-Terrel Allen: 9780970134035: Amazon.com: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "Hispanic/Latino Heritage Month: Jose B. Gonzalez: Hispanic, Latino, What Difference Does It Make Anyway?: A Presentation Filled with Humor, Poetry, and Social Commentary. | SDMA". Orgsync.com. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "Rutgers University-Newark - Campus News". Rutgersnewark.collegiatelink.net. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "Hispanic Heritage Month lecture set - Pittsburg State University". Pittstate.edu. 2010-09-20. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "Accolades" (PDF). Delmar.edu. September 2011. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "Latino Ivy League Conference". Cornell2011lilc.blogspot.com. 2011-11-05. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "Lecturers, performances and exhibitions end academic year on a high note - News from southeastern Connecticut". The Day. 2014-04-28. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "José B. González (Connecticut), Smithsonian Captured on Ustream:A dynamic evening of spoken word and performance that brings together four Salvadoran poets". Ustream.tv. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "Poetry". Newburyportliteraryfestival.org. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "Latino Poets Featured At Sunken Garden Festival This Year". Ctlatinonews.com. 2017-02-20. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "Letras Latinas Blog: Xánath Caraza: A Book Review, An Interview". Letraslatinasblog.blogspot.com. 2012-07-20. Retrieved 2017-02-27.