José Baselga, MD, PhD., is a Spanish medical oncologist and researcher focused on the development of novel molecular targeted agents, with a special emphasis in breast cancer. Baselga serves as Physician-in-Chief at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
Education and career
Baselga received his MD and PhD degrees from the Autonomous University of Barcelona in 1982. He completed a fellowship in Medical Oncology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, and subsequently stayed on as a faculty member of the Breast Medicine Service at Memorial Sloan-Kettering.
From 1996 to 2010, Baselga was the Chairman of the Medical Oncology Service and Founding Director of the recently established Vall d’Hebron Institute of Oncology (VHIO) at the Vall d'Hebron University Hospital in Barcelona. From 2010 to 2012, he was the chief of the Division of Hematology/Oncology and associate director of the MGH Cancer Center in Massachusetts.
He is one of the principal investigators of the Stand Up to Cancer "Dream Team" for "Targeting the PI3K Pathway in Women’s Cancers". He has been involved in the development of several targeted drugs for cancer including cetuximab, pertuzumab, trastuzumab and lapatinib.
Awards and honors
- "Memorial Sloan Kettering Announces Appointment of New Physician-in-Chief". On Cancer. Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. September 5, 2012. Retrieved December 8, 2014.
- "José Baselga - Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center". www.mskcc.org.
- "The José Baselga Lab - Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center". www.mskcc.org.
- "José Baselgą M.D.". Breastcancer.org. September 17, 2012.
- "Officer Detail".
- "Breast Cancer Research Foundation".
- "José Baselga". Aura Biosciences.
- "Center names physician-in-chief". HemOnc Today. 10 Nov 2012.
- "Baselga, Jose". Weill Cornell VIVO. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- "Baselga, José".
- "American Association for Cancer Research Elects José Baselga, MD, PhD, as President-Elect 2014–2015". The ASCO Post. April 15, 2014.