José De La Torre
|José De La Torre|
|Piratas de Campeche – No. 36|
October 17, 1985 |
San Juan, Puerto Rico
|May 12, 2013, for the Boston Red Sox|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||6.35|
José De La Torre (born October 17, 1985) is a Puerto Rican professional baseball pitcher for the Piratas de Campeche of the Mexican Baseball League. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Boston Red Sox.
De La Torre signed with the New York Mets organization in 2006. He signed with the Cleveland Indians as a minor league free agent before the 2012 season. The Indians traded De La Torre to the Boston Red Sox for Brent Lillibridge during the 2012 season.
The Red Sox invited De La Torre to spring training as a non-roster invitee in 2013. De La Torre was named to the Puerto Rico national baseball team for the 2013 World Baseball Classic. De La Torre's contract was purchased from Triple-A Pawtucket on May 9, 2013, to help with a battered bullpen after Joel Hanrahan was placed on the 60-day disabled list. It was De La Torre's first call-up to the majors. He made two appearances before being optioned back to Pawtucket on May 20 when Andrew Bailey returned to the Red Sox from the disabled list. He was recalled on June 11 when Clayton Mortensen went on the disabled list, and sent back down on June 12. He was recalled again on July 5 when Stephen Drew went on the disabled list. He was designated for assignment on September 10, 2013. He was claimed off waivers by the Milwaukee Brewers on September 13, 2013. He elected free agency on November 6, 2015.
|Representing Puerto Rico|
|World Baseball Classic|
|2013 San Francisco||Team|
- "Red Sox trade Lillibridge to Indians for RHP De La Torre – Extra Bases – Red Sox blog". Boston.com. 2012-07-24. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- "Red Sox bullpen likely to see change – Sports". The Boston Globe. 2013-01-29. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Petraglia, Mike (2013-01-17). "Full Count » Xander Bogaerts, Alfredo Aceves among four Red Sox in WBC". Fullcount.weei.com. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Cox, Zack (May 20, 2013). "Red Sox-White Sox Live: Andrew Bailey Activated From Disabled List As Jose De La Torre Optioned to Pawtucket". NESN. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- Britton, Tom (June 11, 2013). "Mortensen hits DL; De La Torre called up". Providence Journal. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- "Red Sox recall Aceves from Triple-A Pawtucket". Associated Press. June 12, 2013. Retrieved June 12, 2013.
- "International League Transactions". milb.com. p. November 2015. Retrieved November 7, 2015.