Jose Mari Chan
|Jose Mari Chan|
March 11, 1945 |
Iloilo City, Philippines
|Origin||Iloilo City, Philippines|
|Genres||Adult contemporary, Classical music, Pop Music, Easy Listening|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, Composer, Businessman|
|Instruments||Vocals, Piano, Guitars|
|Labels||Universal Records (Philippines), Signature Music Inc.|
|Associated acts||Gary Valenciano, Christian Bautista, Lea Salonga, Regine Velasquez, Janet Basco, Ramon Jacinto, Parokya Ni Edgar|
José Mari Chan (born March 11, 1945) in Iloilo City is a Chinese Filipino singer, songwriter and businessman in the sugar industry. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Economics from the Ateneo de Manila University in 1967. He is currently the chairman and CEO of BISCOM, Inc. and A. Chan Sugar Corporation. He is also the chairman and president of Signature Music Inc.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
His first long playing album Deep in My Heart was issued in 1969. In 1973, he represented the Philippines in the World Popular Song Festival in Tokyo where his song Can We Just Stop And Talk Awhile went into the final entries.
In 1975, he moved to the United States to run a branch office of their family's sugar business and remained there for 11 years. In 1986, he returned to the Philippines and went back to the music industry with the release of his album A Golden Collection.
In 1989, he released his album Constant Change. It was named Album of the Year by the Awit Awards, the local equivalent of the American Grammy Awards and reached the Diamond Record in terms of sales. It also sold in other Asian countries such as Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia.
In 1990, his Christmas album, Christmas in Our Hearts was released. It reached triple platinum status that same year, eventually earning the Double Diamond Record Award. In 1994 he released his eighth album, Thank You Love, where he has another song "Is She Thinking About Me" with Christine Bersola and another Christmas song, "Christmas Past". His 2001 album A Heart's Journey won Album of the year in the Awit Awards. In 2005, he composed "We're All Just One" as the theme song of the (2005 Southeast Asian Games). In 2007 his 40 years in music industry. He released his 12th album Love Letters And Other Souvenirs.
In 2009, Joe Mari was inducted to the Philippines Eastwood City Walk Of Fame.
In 2011, he released his 13th full-length album, The Manhattan Connection: The Songs of Jose Mari Chan. The album, which was produced by Janis Siegel of The Manhattan Transfer. The songs were reimagined by music producer Yaron Gershovsky.
In 2012, he released his 2nd Christmas album and his 14th over-all album Going Home To Christmas, his 2nd Christmas album after 22 years since Christmas In Our Hearts was released in 1990, his 1st Christmas album became one of the best selling albums in the Philippines until today. In 2013, he guested in The Ryzza Mae show. In 2015, he released his 25th celebration album Christmas In Our Hearts 25th Anniversary Edition.
Chan is married to Mary Ann Ansaldo and has five children, whom of which they inherited their musical talent from him. His daughter, Lisa, has been featured in several duets with him.
|Award||Award Giving Body||Date|
|Ten Outstanding Young Men of the Philippines for the Arts||Ten Outstanding Young Men Awards||1974|
|Lifetime Achievement Award||Philippine Association of the Recording Industry||--|
|Dangal ng Musikang Pilipino Award||Philippine Association of the Recording Industry||--|
|Antonio C. Barreiro Lifetime Achievement Award||Metro Pop Foundation||--|
|Elite Platinum Award||ABS-CBN||2005|
|Inducted To The Philippines Eastwood City Walk Of Fame 2009||Philippines Eastwood City Walk Of Fame||2009|
|Myx Magna Award||Myx Music Awards||2010|
|Dangal ng OPM||Organisasyon ng Pilipinong Mang-aawit||2011|
- Deep In My Heart (1969)
- Can We Just Stop And Talk Awhile (1973) - Tokyo World Popular Song Festival
- Afterthoughts (1974)
- Here And Now (1975)
- A Golden Collection (1985)
- Constant Change (1989) - 2× Diamond
- Christmas In Our Hearts (1990, 1st Christmas Album) - 2× Diamond
- Thank You Love (1994)
- Strictly Commercial: The Jingles Collection (1997)
- Souvenirs (1998)
- A Heart's Journey (2001) - Awit Awards, Album of the Year
- Love Letters And Other Souvenirs (2007)
- The Manhattan Connection (2011)
- Going Home To Christmas (2012, 2nd Christmas Album after 22 years)
- Christmas In Our Hearts: 25th Anniversary Edition (2015)
- Beautiful Girl - the official music video shows Chan in a dinner jacket with some ladies appearing on-screen. Covered By Parokya Ni Edgar
- Afterglow - First Single 1967 (A 2012 Remake Version from a duet with Ramon Jacinto in the RJ Duets album).
- What Is A Sweetheart - (4th Jose Mari Chan TV Special)
- Can We Just Stop And Talk Awhile - World Popular Song Festival - Revivals- Abe Abe, Lea Salonga, Gary Valenciano (with Kyla) and Christian Bautista
- Christmas in Our Hearts (Christmas In Our Hearts) - Chan's most popular holiday song. Featuring his daughter, Liza Chan.
- A Perfect Christmas - one of his other popular holiday songs
- Please Be Careful with My Heart - featuring Regine Velasquez - Theme from the noontime TV program of ABS-CBN, Be Careful with my Heart starring Richard Yap, Jodi Sta Maria, Mutya Orquia, Jerome Ponce, Janella Salvador, JM Ibañez and Aiza Seguerra since 2012 - 2014.
- Can't We Start Over Again
- Constant Change
- Is She Thinking About Me? featuring Christine Bersola
- If We Only Had More Time Together
- Easier Said Than Done
- Love At Thirty Thousand Feet - commercial jingle of the national flag carrier of the Republic of the Philippines, Philippine Airlines. Still used as an instrumental by the airway company, the jingle was used of the airline's 75th anniversary.
- My Girl, My Woman, My Friend - featuring Janet Basco
- Perhaps Love - featuring Liza Chan
- So I'll Go
- Here and Now
- We're All Just One - official anthem of the 2005 Southeast Asian Games
- Afraid For Love To Fade
- Counterpoint to Lennon & McCartney's "Here, There & Everywhere"
- Radio Romance- station identification jingle of Radio Romance 101.9 (now MOR 101.9)
- Big Beautiful Country - station identification jingle of the now-defunct television station Banahaw Broadcasting Corporation (BBC2)
- Tell Me Your Name
- Good Old Fashioned Romance
- A Love To Last A Lifetime
- Deep In My Heart
- Leave You
- High and Mighty
- Night Time
- A Whole New World Feat. Lea Salonga - Filipino Version From Disney's Aladdin Movie
- Mr. Songwriter
- Sing Me Your Song Again, Daddy
- No Rewind, No Replay
- The Sound Of Life - Another Christmas Song
- Empty Space - original by the Bukas Palad Music Ministry
- Going To The Past
- Christmas Past - Another Christmas Song
- Gold Ito! (Dyna Music, 1988)
- Ginintuang Diwa ng Pasko (Universal Records, 1989)
- Maayong Pasko (Universal Records, 1989)
- Presence (Universal Records 2002)
- Only Selfless Love 2 (Universal Records, 2003)
- Something More (JesCom Music, 2004)
- Best of OPM Love Songs (Universal Records, 2005)
- Best of OPM Acoustic Hits (Universal Records, 2005)
- OPM Gold Christmas (Universal Records, 2006)
- OPM Superstars Christmas (Universal Records, 2006)
- Sail On...His Most Holy Face (Universal Records, 2006)
- OPM Platinum Christmas (Universal Records, 2007)
- HOPE... Healing Of Pain and Enlightenment (Star Music, 2007)
- No. 1 Signature Hits OPM's Best (Vicor Music Corp., 2008)
- Senti 18 Pinoy Love Hits (Vicor Music Corp., 2008)
- Bongga! (The Biggest Retro OPM Hits) (Universal Records, 2008)
- Bongga 2 (The Biggest Retro OPM Hits) (Universal Records, 2009)
- Paalam, Maraming Salamat Pres. Aquino (A Memorial Tribute Soundtrack) (Star Music, 2009)
- RJ Duets (MCA Music, 2012)
- Godinez, Bong (7 April 2008). "Filipino song composers of all time (Part 2)". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 29 November 2011.
- Valisno, Jeffrey O (21 July 2011). "Local Support". Business World Online. Retrieved 29 November 2011.
- Billboard Vol. 85, No. 44. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 1973.
- Smith, Chuck (19 April 2011). "Jose Mari Chan reimagined on 'The Manhattan Connection'". Yahoo! OMG! Philippines. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- Lo, Ricardo F. (20 October 2010). "'Seniors prom' at the Big Dome". PhilSTAR. Retrieved 29 November 2011.
- "1971 – 1980 | TOYM Awardees". Retrieved 2 December 2011.
- "Diether Ocampo's the salt in Margarita!". Manila Bulletin. 2 August 2007. Retrieved 2 December 2011.
- Lo, Ricardo F. (14 December 2002). "JOSE MARI CHAN IN OUR HEARTS". The Philippine STAR. Retrieved 2 December 2011.
- "Jose Mari Chan: Returns to Cebu for Holiday Medley". PhilSTAR. 8 November 2006. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "The MYX Music Awards 2010 Winners". MYX Philippines. Retrieved 2 December 2011.
- "Dangal ng OPM Awardees bared". Organisasyon ng Pilipinong Mang-aawit. Retrieved 29 November 2011.