Jose Mari Gonzales
This biography of a living person includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
José Mari Gonzáles
June 15, 1942
|Occupation||Actor, businessman, politician|
|Spouse(s)||Charito Malarky (1964–present)|
José Mari Gonzáles, or José Mari (born June 15, 1942), is a Filipino former actor, matinee idol and politician.
Gonzáles entered the movies at the age of 17 in the late 1950s. He appeared in Ulilang Anghel (1958), Tawag Ng Tanghalan (1958), Mga Anghel Sa Lansangan (1959), Handsome (1959) and Baby Face (1959). He became a matinee idol in Sampaguita Pictures in movies such as Beatnik (1960) with Susan Roces, Joey, Eddie, Lito (1961) with Eddie Gutiérrez and Lito Legaspi, Operatang Sampay Bakod (1961) with Amalia Fuentes and Dolphy, Tindahan Ni Aling Epang (1961) with Liberty Ilagan, Kaming Mga Talyada (1962) where he played gay roles together with Juancho Gutiérrez, Dindo Fernando and Barbara Pérez among others.
In the 1960s, he was paired with Liberty Ilagan as a "loveteam" in Sampaguita Pictures movies. Larry Santiago Productions continued their team-up in the 1966 picture Dearest One.
In 1971, Gonzáles was elected the first president of the Philippine Association of the Record Industry (PARI).
He is married to Charito Malarky, a former model of Spanish and British ancestry. Their paths first crossed when she was twelve and he, seventeen. He is the father of actresses Cristina Gonzáles (wife of Mayor Alfred Romualdez) and Ana Margarita Gonzáles.
During the term of President Cory Aquino, Gonzales was made the Director of the Bureau of Broadcast. In 1994, he was appointed as RPN 9's top honcho. As a TV executive, he reinvented the telenovela's Marimar and La Traidora, dubbed to Tagalog.
In 1998, he ran for Congressman as an independent candidate and won in San Juan, Metro Manila. On November 13, 2000, San Juan Rep. Jose Mari Gonzalez was involved in a slapping incident of retired Gen. Bayani Fabic, Sergeant-at-Arms of the House of Representatives, shortly after the House impeached then President Joseph Estrada. For the misdeed and after a lengthy court trial, the Quezon City Metropolitan Trial Court found Jose Mari Gonzalez guilty on criminal charges of grave slander by deed.
- 1968 Operation: Discotheque
- 1966 Viva Ranchera
- 1965 Ana Roberta
- 1965 Maria Cecilia
- 1964 Show Business
- 1964 Let's Go
- 1964 The Nite Owl
- 1963 Ako'y Ibigin Mo, Dalagang Matapang
- 1963 King and Queen for a Day
- 1963 Amaliang Mali-Mali vs. Susanang Daldal
- 1963 Dance O-Rama
- 1962 Barilan Sa Baboy Kural
- 1962 The Big Broadcast
- 1962 Kaming mga Talyada
- 1962 Pitong Kalbaryo ni Inang
- 1961 Joey, Eddie, Lito
- 1960 7 Amores
- 1960 Amy, Susie, & Tessie
- 1960 Laura
- 1959 Baby Face
- 1959 Handsome
- 1958 Tawag ng Tanghalan
- 1958 Ulilang Angel
- http://www.pep.ph/spotlight/finder/15719/former-actress-anna-margarita-gonzales-seeks-help-to-have-her-children-back "Former actress Anna Margarita Gonzales seeks help to have her children back"
- https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1395620/ "Jose Mari Gonzales"
- https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1395620/bio "Biography for Jose Mari Gonzales"
- http://www.philstar.com/entertainment/663250/joey-and-libay-outside-sampaguita "Joey and Libay outside Sampaguita"
- http://movie-industry.blogspot.com/2007/06/jose-mari-gonzales.html "Movie Celebrities Then and Now: Jose Mari Gonzales"
- http://www.newsflash.org/199807/sb/sb000484.htm "Kring-Kring WEDS IMELDA'S NEPHEW IN OCTOBER"
- http://www.whoislog.info/profile/jose-mari-1.html "Jose Mari"
- http://www.reocities.com/sampaguita-pictures/index.html[permanent dead link] "Sampaguita Pictures, Inc."