This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
José Tillán (born May 24, 1966) is a media executive and professional musician, composer and producer whose career has primarily been focused on the Latin music industry.
Tillán was born in Banes, Cuba on May 24, 1966. He moved to Spain with his family in 1968, where he lived until 1976. They moved to the United States in October 1976 and settled in Miami, FL – where he still resides. Tillán attended Kinloch Park Elementary, West Miami Jr. High and graduated from South Miami Senior High. He attended Miami-Dade College and experimented with various majors: art, psychology, music, computer-science, accounting and finally ended with AA in Business Administration. He then went to Florida International University and majored in International Marketing.
The Band years
His interest in music was sparked after attending a concert by The Police, at the now defunct Sunrise Musical Theater in Sunrise, FL on Monday, December 8, 1980 (a very memorable night - John Lennon's assassination). He bought a bass guitar for ten dollars at a local pawnshop and started to play with his two best friends Carlos "Freak" Alvarez and Kenny Nunez. In 1984, they formed 'FORGET THE NAME' (later FtN), a band that Tillan was a member of for approximately 9 years. FtN performed primarily in South Florida where they developed a strong following. The eventually started touring the East Coast of United States and had three commercial releases - ‘Water and Walls’, ‘The Subtleties of Anger’ and ‘Stones for Steven.’ The band called it quits in the first half of 1993.
The music industry
In 1993, Tillán left the 'stage' and started a boutique management company named MATT Entertainment, where he managed Cuban-American singer-songwriter Nil Lara, Peruvian pop-roots singer-songwriter Pepe Alva and punk-rock outfit Joe Popp. After approximately 4 years as an artist manager, he closed MATT Entertainment and joined MTV Networks as the Director of Music and Talent.
Tillán spearheaded MTV’s multi-award winning ‘Unplugged’ series for MTV Latin America with artists such as Shakira, Mana, Alejandro Sanz, La Ley, Julieta Venegas, Diego Torres and Ricky Martin. Under Tillan’s tutelage, the MTV Unplugged CD/DVD releases have generated worldwide sales of over 12 million units and have won various Grammys, Latin Grammys and numerous other awards.
In 2001 Tillán was instrumental in launching the MTV Video Music Awards Latin America (Los Premios MTV), Latin America’s premiere award show and the network’s highest rated property. While co-producing the VMALA’s, Tillan has worked with artists such as Carlos Santana, Evanescence, Robbie Williams, The Beastie Boys, Nelly Furtado, KORN, Gustavo Cerati, Lenny Kravitz, Paulina Rubio, Molotov, Dido, Metallica, Paramore, Wisin y Yandel, Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, 50 Cent, Calle 13 and The Black Eyed Peas among others. Since 2003, Tillan also produced and arrange the opening musical segments for the show, working closely with artists such as Ricky Martin, Juanes, Julieta Venegas, Daddy Yankee, La Ley, Vicentico, Alex Lora, Aterciopelados, Plastilina Mosh and Diego Torres.
Tillán is currently the General Manager /Executive Vice-president of MTV Tr3s. He oversees all aspects of the business, including the overall content strategy of the channel and the development of branded entertainment. Tillán remains also the Executive Producer of all major productions including Los Premios MTV Latinoamérica and Unpluggeds. He continues to write and produce as a member of Popvert, with Marthin Chan (Volumen Cero), Brendan Buckley (Shakira) and Jolie Lindholm (The Rocking Horse Winner) as well as a solo artist under the name of Pepvert.
- 2007, Tillán was inducted to the Miami Dade College Hall of Fame for his merits in the entertainment field.
- 2007 Tillán received a Latin Grammy as the Video Producer of MTV Unplugged (Ricky Martin album).
- 2008 Tillán was awarded once again his second Latin Grammy for MTV Unplugged (Julieta Venegas album).
Tillán has served as the President of the Florida Chapter as well as a National Trustee for the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (NARAS). He serves as part of ‘the President’s Council’ for the (Latin Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences) (LARAS). He also serves on the Board of Directors for the National Association of Latino Independent Producers (NALIP).
- Water and Walls
- The Subtleties of Anger
- Stones for Steven
- Forero, Juan (8 April 2007). "Shakira's Sense and Sensualtiy". The Washington Post. Retrieved January 2010. Check date values in:
- Editor, Entertainment (11 March 2008). "Julieta Venegas Delivers an Unforgettable MTV Unplugged". Hispanic Business. Retrieved January 2010. Check date values in:
- John Farley, Christopher (June 2005). "The Making of a Rocker". Time. Retrieved April 2010. Check date values in:
- Rohter, Larry (3 April 2009). "Los Cadillacs Roar Back, and Pick Up New Fans". New York TImes. Retrieved January 2010. Check date values in:
- Forero, Juan (23 November 2004). "A Singer Confronts Colombia's Pain". The New York Times. Retrieved April 2010. Check date values in:
- Navarro, Mireye (24 September 2006). "Focusing on Attitude Rather Than a Language". The New York Times. Retrieved April 2010. Check date values in:
- Editor, Entertainment (18 May 2009). "Jose Tillan Named General Manager/ Executive Vice President of MTV Tr3s". Hispanic PR News. Retrieved 18 May 2009.
- Cobo, Leila (25 September 2006). "ast=Yo Quiero MTV? Tr3s Aims to Please". The Washington Post. Retrieved April 2010. Check date values in:
- Villareal, Yvonne (9 November 2009). "Much Teen Love for ISA TKM". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 2010. Check date values in:
- Editor, Entertainment (Jan 2010). "Jose Tillan". The Internet Movie Database. Retrieved Jan 2010. Check date values in:
- Nemer, Brad (6 November 2006). "How MTV Channels Innovation". Businessweek. Retrieved April 2010. Check date values in:
- Tanklefsky, David (3 August 2009). "Finding Success Through Sound and Vision". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved Jan 2010. Check date values in:
- Editor, Digital (19 May 2009). "Jose Tillan Named General Manager/Executive Vice President of MTV Tr3s". Biz News FIU. Retrieved January 2010. Check date values in:
- Ben-Yehuda, Ayala (13 November 2008). "George, Wisin y Yandel Win Early Latin Grammy". BillBoard. Retrieved April 2010. Check date values in:
- Editor, Digital (March 2010). "Board of Directors". NALIP. Retrieved March 2010. Check date values in: