This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
9 May 1914
|Died||30 August 1996(aged 82)|
|Alma mater||University and Kunstgewerbeschule Zürich|
|Style||International Typographic Style|
|Spouse(s)||Verena Brockmann (married 1943–1964) ,Shizuko Yoshikawa（married 1967-1996）|
Josef Müller-Brockmann (May 9, 1914 – August 30, 1996) was a Swiss graphic designer and teacher. He studied architecture, design and history of art at both the University and Kunstgewerbeschule Zürich. In 1936 he opened his Zurich studio specialising in graphic design, exhibition design and photography. From 1951 he produced concert posters for the Tonhalle in Zurich. In 1958 he became a founding editor of New Graphic Design along with R.P. Lohse, C. Vivarelli, and H. Neuburg. In 1966 he was appointed European design consultant to IBM.
Brockmann is recognised for his simple designs and his clean use of typography (notably Akzidenz-Grotesk), shapes and colours which inspire many graphic designers in the 21st century.
Müller-Brockman was author of several books on design and visual communication.
- The Graphic Artist and his Design Problems (Gestaltungsprobleme des Grafikers), Teufen, 1961
- A History of Visual Communication (Geschichte der visuellen Kommunikation), Niederteufen, 1971
- History of the Poster (Geschichte des Plakates), co-author Shizuko Yoshikawa, Zurich, 1971
- Grid Systems in Graphic Design (Rastersysteme für die visuelle Gestaltung), Niederteufen, 1981
- Graphic Design in IBM: Typography, Photography, Illustration, Paris, 1988
- Fotoplakate: Von den Anfängen bis zur Gegenwart, co-author Karl Wobmann, Aarau, 1989
- Mein Leben: Spielerischer Ernst und ernsthaftes Spiel (autobiography), Baden, 1994
- Müller, Lars. Josef Müller-Brockmann: Pioneer of Swiss Graphic Design. Lars Müller Publishers, 1994, p. 261
- Friedl, Friederich, Nicholas Ott and Bernard Stein. Typography: An encyclopedic survey of type design and techniques through history. Black Dog & Leventhal, 1998. ISBN 1-57912-023-7.
- Purcell, Kerry William[permanent dead link]. Josef Müller-Brockmann. Phaidon Press, 2006. ISBN 0-7148-4349-0.
- Many of Müller-Brockmann's works can be found in the online gallery "Blanka".