Josef W. Meri
Josef (Yousef) Meri
|Alma mater||U.C. Berkeley; Oxford University|
|Known for||Islamic History; Islamic Studies; Muslim-Jewish-Christian Relations; History of Religion|
|Fields||Islamic History; Islamic Studies|
|Institutions||Hamad Bin Khalifa University; Ludwig Maximilians University; Woolf Institute; Institute of Ismaili Studies; University of California, Berkeley|
Josef (Yousef) Waleed Meri (Arabic: يوسف وليد مرعي Yūsuf Walīd Marʿī) is an American historian of Interfaith Relations in the Middle East in the College of Islamic Studies, Hamad Bin Khalifa University, Doha, Qatar. He is presently an Associate of the Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding at Georgetown University. Meri is also a Senior Associate of the Center for the Study of Jewish-Christian-Muslim Relations, Merrimack College.
From 2013 to 2014 Meri served as eighth Allianz Visiting professor of Islamic Studies at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. He was also a Fellow of St. Edmund's College, Cambridge, Cambridge University, and a visiting fellow at the Centre of Islamic Studies, Cambridge University.
Meri is the winner of the 2014 Goldziher Prize in Jewish-Muslim Relations awarded by the Center for the Study of Jewish-Christian-Muslim Relations, Merrimack College.
Books and edited volumes
- (ed. and contributor) Medieval Islamic Civilization: An Encyclopedia, 2 vols. (Abingdon, Oxon. and New York: Routledge, 2017 (Volume 1: ISBN 978-1138061002) (Volume 2: ISBN 978-1138061316)
- (ed.) Jewish-Muslim Relations in Past and Present: A Kaleidoscopic View (Leiden: Brill, 2017)(ISBN 9789004235809)
- (ed. and contributor) The Routledge Handbook of Muslim-Jewish Relations (New York: Routledge, 2016)(ISBN 978-0415-64516-4).
- The Cult of Saints among Muslims and Jews in Medieval Syria (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002) (ISBN 0-19-925078-2).
- (ed. with Farhad Daftary) Culture and Memory in Medieval Islam (London and New York: I.B. Tauris, 2003) (ISBN 1-86064-859-2).
- (ed. and trans.) A Lonely Wayfarer's Guide to Pilgrimage: Ali ibn Abi Bakr's Kitab al-Isharat ila Ma'rifat al-Ziyarat (Princeton: Darwin Press, 2004) (ISBN 0-87850-169-X).
- (ed. and contributor) Medieval Islamic Civilization: An Encyclopedia, 2 vols. (New York: Routledge, 2006) (ISBN 0-415-96690-6).
- (ed.)  Bayān al-Farq bayn al-Ṣadr wal-Qalb wal-Fuʾād wal-Lubb (بيان الفرق بين الصدر والقلب والفؤاد واللب], Second revised edition (Amman: The Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre, 2012. First published 2009) (ISBN 978-9957-8533-5-8).
- ^  College of Islamic Studies, Hamad Bin Khalifa University
- ^  Faculty and Staff, Center for the Study of Jewish, Christian, Muslim Relations, Merrimack College
- ^  Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
- ^  St. Edmund's College, Cambridge
- ^  Centre of Islamic Studies, Cambridge University
- ^  Center for the Study of Jewish-Christian-Muslim Relations, Merrimack College
- "Josef Waleed Meri". April 9, 2022. - College of Islamic Studies, Hamad Bin Khalifa University
- Josef W. Meri in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Academic staff of Hamad Bin Khalifa University
- American medievalists
- Scholars of medieval Islamic history
- Social historians
- 1969 births
- Living people
- University of California, Berkeley alumni
- Alumni of the University of Oxford
- Alumni of Wolfson College, Oxford
- American Islamic studies scholars
- Binghamton University alumni
- Fellows of St Edmund's College, Cambridge
- American expatriate academics
- Fulbright alumni