Joselu in action for Real Madrid in 2011
|Full name||José Luis Sanmartín Mato|
|Date of birth||27 March 1990|
|Place of birth||Stuttgart, West Germany|
|Height||1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|2009–2012||Real Madrid B||72||(40)|
|2009–2010||→ Celta (loan)||24||(4)|
|2013–2014||→ Eintracht Frankfurt (loan)||24||(9)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 15 June 2015.
Joselu began his career with Celta Vigo being purchased by Real Madrid in the summer of 2009. He was a prolific goalscorer for B Team, scoring 40 goals in 72 appearances but he was unable to break into the first team and was sold to German Bundesliga side 1899 Hoffenheim in August 2012. He spent the 2012–13 season with Hoffenheim and was loaned out to Eintracht Frankfurt in 2013–14. Joselu joined Hannover 96 in June 2014 where he spent the 2014–15 before joining English Premier League side Stoke City in June 2015 for a fee of £5.75 million.
Joselu played his two first professional games for local Celta de Vigo, with the Galicians in the second division, late in the 2008–09 season. Since the age of 18, at about the same time he made his debuts with the main squad, he played with the B-team in the third level.
Late in the 2009 summer Joselu was purchased by Real Madrid, being immediately loaned to his former team for a further campaign. He was relatively used during the division two campaign, but only scored four goals as the team finished in 12th position.
Joselu was Real Madrid Castilla's top scorer in the 2010–11 season, alongside Álvaro Morata, but the team failed to promote in the playoffs. On 21 May 2011 he made his first-team – and La Liga – debut, coming on as a substitute for Karim Benzema for the last ten minutes of a home fixture against UD Almería: he scored almost immediately off a Cristiano Ronaldo cross, making it 8–1 for the hosts.
On 20 December 2011, in his second official appearance for the main squad, Joselu replaced Benzema in the 77th minute of the home match against SD Ponferradina, for the season's Copa del Rey. He scored the 4–1 two minutes later, in an eventual 5–1 win.
In his second season with Castilla, Joselu became an essential offensive unit for manager Alberto Toril, and responded by netting 26 goals (19 in the regular season and seven in the playoffs) which made him the competition's top scorer, as his team promoted to division two after five years, as champions; he subsequently attracted the attention of several European clubs.
On 8 August 2012, Joselu signed a four-year contract with TSG 1899 Hoffenheim for an undisclosed fee. He made his Bundesliga debut on 16 September, playing 30 minutes in a 3–5 away loss against SC Freiburg, and scored his first goal for his new club ten days later, contributing to a 3–0 success at VfB Stuttgart. He scored a brace against SpVgg Greuther Fürth on 19 October 2012. He played 25 times for the Wirsol Rhein-Neckar-Arena side scoring five goals as they finished in 16th position.
Eintracht Frankfurt (loan)
At the end of his first season with Hoffenhiem Joselu admitted that he struggled to adapt to his new surroundings and was loaned out to Bundesliga rivals Eintracht Frankfurt for the 2013–14 season. He rediscovered his form under Armin Veh at the Commerzbank-Arena, scoring 14 goals in 33 appearances as they finished in 13th position and reached the knock-out stages of the UEFA Europa League.
On 16 June 2015 Joselu joined Premier League side Stoke City for a fee of £5.75 million. Upon joining Stoke Joselu stated that he has fulfilled a life-long ambition to play in the Premier League.
Style of play
Joselu plays as a striker and has been described by Mark Hughes as a "technically adept forward".— "He's a good technical player, he's got good ability and I like his movement. His link-up play is very good and with the finishing we've done so far in training I've been very pleased. You can see technically he's very adept, getting his body in the right position to take chances".
|Celta Vigo B||2008–09||Segunda División B||21||3||—||—||—||21||3|
|Celta Vigo||2008–09||Segunda División||2||0||0||0||—||—||2||0|
|Real Madrid B||2010–11||Segunda División B||36||14||—||—||—||36||14|
|2011–12||Segunda División B||36||26||—||—||—||36||26|
|Real Madrid||2010–11||La Liga||1||1||0||0||—||0||0||1||1|
|Eintracht Frankfurt (loan)||2013–14||Bundesliga||24||9||2||4||—||7||1||33||14|
|Stoke City||2015–16||Premier League||0||0||0||0||0||0||—||0||0|
- "Joselu: "Somos el mejor equipo de la segunda vuelta"" [Joselu: "We're the best team of the second round] (in Spanish). Real Madrid. 1 February 2011. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "El Real Madrid ficha y cede a Joselu al Celta de Vigo" [Real Madrid buys from and loans Joselu to Celta de Vigo] (in Spanish). El País. 31 August 2009. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Ronaldo breaks record in rout". ESPN Soccernet. 21 May 2011. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "El Madrid ficha hacia octavos" [Madrid signs to last-16] (in Spanish). Marca. 20 December 2011. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "El West Ham viene a por Joselu, joya del Castilla" [West Ham comes for Joselu, Castilla's gem] (in Spanish). Diario AS. 17 June 2012. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Joselu joins TSG 1899 Hoffenheim". TSG 1899 Hoffenheim. 8 August 2012. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "SC Freiburg 5–3 TSG Hoffenheim". ESPN Soccernet. 16 September 2012. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- "VfB Stuttgart 0–3 TSG Hoffenheim". ESPN Soccernet. 26 September 2012. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- "HOFFENHEIM VS. GREUTHER FÜRTH 3 - 3". Soccerway. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "Joselu scouting report: All you need to know about Stoke City's new striker". Daily Mail. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "Hannover 96 verpflichtet Joselu" [Hannover 96 acquires Joselu] (in German). Hannover 96. 9 June 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Games played by Joselu in 2014/2015". Soccerbase. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- "Potters Land Joselu". Stoke City. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Mark Hughes delighted at £5.75m Joselu signing". Stoke Sentinel. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Joselu - 'This Is A Dream'". Stoke City. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- "Mark Hughes already impressed by Joselu's goal instinct". Stoke Sentinel. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- "Joselu". Soccerway. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "Joselu". BD Futbol. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- "Games played by Joselu in 2012/2013". Soccerbase. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- "Games played by Joselu in 2013/2014". Soccerbase. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- "Games played by Joselu in 2015/2016". Soccerbase. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Joselu.|
- Joselu career statistics at Soccerbase
- Soccerway profile
- BDFutbol profile
- Futbolme profile (Spanish)
- Bundesliga stats at Fussballdaten (German)