Josep M. Colomer is a scholar, professor and author in political science and political economy. He has published theoretical and comparative studies of voting and elections, political institutions and institutional change, and European politics. He was a Fulbright Scholar at the University of Chicago, a research professor at the Higher Council for Scientific Research (CSIC), in Barcelona, and has taught at numerous institutions, including the Autonomous University of Barcelona, the Pompeu Fabra University, the Institut d'Etudes Politiques SciencesPo in Paris, the University of Bristol, FLACSO and CIDE in Mexico city, and New York University. He is currently a Research Professor of Government and a Fellow in Democracy and Governance at Georgetown University, in Washington, DC.
Josep Colomer's areas of expertise include democratization, forms of government, voting systems, international institutions. Colomer is the author of 23 books and the editor of 7 books, which have been published in 38 editions in six languages, and author of about 200 academic articles and book chapters, including in The American Political Science Review, Constitutional Political Economy, Electoral Studies, European Journal of Political Science, European Political Science, Government and Opposition, Journal of Theoretical Politics, Political Studies, PS: Political Science & Politics, Public Choice, Rationality and Society, Social Choice and Welfare, as well as in the Oxford Handbook of Political Science and all major encyclopedias in the field. He serves on the editorial boards of several journals, including Journal of Elections, Public Opinion and Parties, Journal of Theoretical Politics, Political Studies, and Research and Politics. He is also Senior Editor in Political Institutions of the ongoing Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Politics.
Colomer was a founding member of the Spanish Political Science Association (AECPA), is a life member of the American Political Science Association (APSA) and a member by election of the Academia Europaea. He has obtained the APSA’s Leon Weaver Award for the best paper on representation and electoral systems; the Prat de la Riba Award of the Catalan Academy for the best book in philosophy and the social sciences in a period of five years for Great Empires, Small Nations, which was also short-listed for the first Europe Book Prize given at the European Parliament; the biannual prize to the best book of the AECPA for Political Institutions; and the Anagrama Award for essays for Game Theory and the Transition to Democracy.
- Colomer, Josep The European Empire. Amazon Books, 2016.
- Colomer, Josep How Global Institutions Rule the World. New York: Palgrave, 2015.
- Colomer, Josep ed. Personal Representation: The neglected dimension of electoral systems. Essex: ECPR Press, 2011.
- Colomer, Josep The Science of Politics: An Introduction. New York: Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Colomer, Josep ed. Comparative European Politics. 3rd edition. London: Routledge, 2008.
- Colomer, Josep Great Empires, Small Nations. The uncertain future of the sovereign state. London: Routledge, 2007.
- Colomer, Josep ed.  Handbook of Electoral System Choice. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2004.
- Colomer, Josep Political Institutions. London and New York: Oxford University Press, 2001.
- Colomer, Josep  Strategic Transitions. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2000.
- Colomer, Josep. Game Theory and the Transition to Democracy: The Spanish model. Edward Elgar, 1995.