Josep Pons i Viladomat
|Known for||Directing and conducting:|
Gran Teatre del Liceu
Spanish National Orchestra;
City of Granada Orchestra;
Chamber Orchestra of the Teatre Lliure
Josep Pons (born Josep Pons i Viladomat; 1957) is a Spanish conductor.
Pons was born in Puig-reig, Berguedà. He received his musical training at L'Escolania de Montserrat and continued his musical studies in Barcelona with such teachers as Josep Soler i Sardà (composition) and Antoni Ros-Marbà (conducting).
In 1985, Pons founded the Orquestra de Cambra Teatre Lliure (Chamber Orchestra of the Teatre Lliure). He directed the Coral Càrmina from 1988 to 1990. He was the musical director for the 1992 Summer Olympics. Pons was the first artistic director of the Jove Orquestra Simfònica de Catalunya, later the Jove Orquestra Nacional de Catalunya, from 1993 to 2001. He was principal conductor of the City of Granada Orchestra (Orquesta Ciudad de Granada) from 1994 to 2004. In 2003, he became artistic director and principal conductor of the Spanish National Orchestra. In October 2010, the Gran Teatre del Liceu announced the appointment of Pons as its next music director, as of September 2012, for an initial contract of 6 years. In November 2017, the Liceu announced the extension of Pons' contract through the 2021-2022 season. In July 2021, the Liceu announced a further extension of Pons' contract through the 2025-2026 season.
Pons has conducted commercial recordings for such labels as harmonia mundi. His honours include the City of Barcelona Award (1992) of the Cultural Institute of the City Council and the National Prize for Music (1999) granted by the Ministry of Culture.
- "Liceu hires Spanish music director: shock". International Arts Manager. Impromptu Publishing Limited. 11 October 2010. Archived from the original on 5 May 2013. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- EFE (17 November 2017). "Josep Pons renueva como director musical del Liceu hasta temporada 2021-2022". El Periódico. Grupo Zeta. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "Josep Pons renews music director contract with Gran Teatre-del Liceu until 2025/26 season" (Press release). HarrisonParrott. 14 July 2021. Retrieved 2021-07-15.
- Ashley, Tim (8 September 2011). "De Falla: Nights in the Gardens of Spain; Piano Works – review, Perianes/BBCSO/Pons (Harmonia Mundi)". The Guardian. Guardian News & Media Limited. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- Clements, Andrew (28 September 2016). "Berio: Sinfonia; Mahler: 10 Early Songs CD review – a vivid taste of Berio's rich musical world". The Guardian. Guardian News & Media Limited. Retrieved 28 December 2017.